Thread: DV Type 1 or 2

1. Lightbulb DV Type 1 or 2

Is it true that the most common used is type2? because is interlaced or am I wrong?
    and type1 can be either interlaced or progressive but it uses directshow instead? I'm all confuse... and which is by default better to go with? by the way how do I know which dv type my canopus advc110 uses? or does it depend on the software and if it does then why studio9 doesn't give me the option to go for either one?

Blog Entries

Unfortunately you're being confused by my pet hate of the video editing world - the technical jargon. It's a shame, but there's sometimes far too much technical information spouted on forums... which REALLY isn't needed to edit video.

Trying to put this into non-technical terms:

When we have information stored in video files, we refer to these as "streams". At the most basic level, we have 1 video and 1 audio stream. In DV Type 1 files the audio and video are 'interleaved', that is they are combined into one. This one stream is called an "ivas" stream (interleaved video/audio stream).

DV Type 2 files on the other hand can be split into seperate video and up to 4 audio channels. These types can be used in virtually all applications (e.g virtualdub).

You shouldn't ever have to worry about this. The software will do this for you.

Whilst Marc was writing his post I was Googling - these links may help explain the differences further:

http://www.videohelp.com/glossary?D#DV

http://www.petesvideo.com/vidDVformats.htm

4. Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    You shouldn't ever have to worry about this. The software will do this for you.
    Ahhh yes I plan using virtualdub for simple editing... but what if the software choose to go dv1... does it depend on the source? why would I need dv1? does it automatically go dv2 most of the time?

Blog Entries

Have you tried opening up your exported file in VirtualDub?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Have you tried opening up your exported file in VirtualDub?
    Yes all avis I done from studio9 open in virtualdub. On ulead studio it gives me the option to go for dv1 or 2 and I had no idea what to choose...

what makes studio9 go for 1 or the other? and why do i need dv1 for? does it make smaller avis but less cuztomizable?

Blog Entries

For the files to be used in VirtualDub, choose type 2. That's pretty much all you need to know.