Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you make of this?

Default What do you make of this?

I try to make someone happy every day - but it may not be your turn today . . .

I have no idea... none of the links work, there is no point, WTF??
    mind-boggling retardation
    Everybody Pays

Quote Originally Posted by fultron89 View Post
    I have no idea... none of the links work, there is no point, WTF??
    mind-boggling retardation
    All of the links, work, it's just that most of the pages are the same!

You need to see beyond the obvious . . .

4. Default

is this your site chris?
    the design is very boring and really did not interest me at all im afraid.
    i think the idea is pretty good though but i think youtube may have beaten you to it :S
    Last edited by komatoast; 12-05-2006 at 09:51 AM.

Blog Entries

Chris's work for sure.

The page looks confusing and it isnt clear what it is all about.

Telly over the net is sure to grow and being in at the start is a smart move. I am sure you are onto something Chris.

The possibility of setting up a 'TV' channel without any considerations of cost and infrastructure is an amazing thing.

Content still costs clearly and cheap is rarely that cheerfull and it is to be hoped that the free and niche nature (surely niche is where net tv will thrive) of the programming will mean lower production values will suffice.

I have long had a dream of a truly accesible ultra local TV channel, looks like with todays technology it's possible.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Chris's work for sure.

The page looks confusing and it isnt clear what it is all about.

Telly over the net is sure to grow and being in at the start is a smart move. I am sure you are onto something Chris.
    Yes, Mark, it's true - I'm a crap designer! The first website I ever built once won the accolade of "a truly dire design" but I still sold it for an amount of money which serious surprised me back in 1999 . . . yes, I did buy a small yacht, and yes, I did sail away on it for six months!

The idea behind homemade is to try and get videomakers like us to build small programmes which will explore niche areas and generate a regular flow of new material. The premise is to be very unlike YouTube, Koma, insofar as the programmes will have a point and intention, and thus try to build a specific audience. In turn this may build an advertising community who will pay the bills . . .

My Caravan Channel website (www.caravanchannel.co.uk) is now returning a surprising amount of dosh every week in google adsense, the site is taking money from site sponsors, and The Caravan Channel on Sky channels 181/182 is now generating income, so I must be doing something right!
    Last edited by ChrisG; 12-05-2006 at 08:43 PM. Reason: deleted financial information

Blog Entries

That read like ' no good design - must be you' , that is not what I meant at all.... foot mouth.

I think you are on to something for sure, kind of participatory local net tv, sounds great. If I didnt have to sleep and was genrally more personable I would have a go at something like that round these parts.

Keep us posted Chris.

Talking

It's true anyway, Mark! My design skills really aren't much good.

I think you're the only one to see the objective anyway . . . develop channels of genuine interest, requiring real work and input from both participants and organisation, rather than smart programming, and build a community of interests where the interest is the subject of the videos, rather than just "these are videos".

On the subject of interactivity, have you seen where they're at with Felixstowe TV? Much more interactive - www.felixstowetv.co.uk

9. Default

its a good idea but there are already similar sites; vidilife (who have chanels), metacafe, youtube, etc.
    you may well want to do something totally different to what these sites are doing but personally i would not even look twice at a site with a poor design. your best bet would be to use the money from ad sence to have a pretty site made.

i dont mean to sound harsh.... i do really think this is a good idea, but you need to have a site with something about it -look wise, so you keep peoples attention and they return to see other shows

how are video going to be selected to be a part of the chanel?

It's a point of difference, Koma, and probably related to to the way I work with products like websites. I would deliberately not make a site very pretty, to avoid casual surfers, who might wander in and stay without doing the business, while using my bandwidth . . . and the business is. hitting highly content specific advertising!

The design that I end on will be just practical - and say fairly clearly what the site contains. But my key visitors will be people who are interested in the content of the actual videoes inside, because that is their specific interest.

Anyway, you're not being harsh in the context - you're a respected member, and as such I value your opinion. What do you think of The Caravan Channel site - www.caravanchannel.co.uk ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast