Thread: Splitting clips

Default Splitting clips

Hello, I recently picked up a project from a friend of mine. This will be the first project that I have done with footage that I have not personally shot. I use Vegas 6 to import all of the footage on my computer and with the footage i have shot with my cameras, the imported footage always comes in clips.

My problem is all of the raw footage that i recieved when i import it, it comes in as one clip for the entire tape. I feel like a newbie but ive never had this problem before. So now im sitting with 7, 12gb files on my computer...

What would be the easist route to split these clips up, with out having quality loss (e.i. cutting and rendering every individual clip) or starting and stopping my expensive camera a million times to import every clip?

In the Vegas Capture Program I engage the Scene Detect function to "split" my clips into bite size pieces. If the camera was setup correctly with the Date and Time set on, then every time the the RECORD button was hit a new START point was created. It is these points that SCENE detect uses to segment the tape on capture into the masses of clips.

Once I have these clips on a hard drive, I dispense with the use of the deck/camera, and just use the digital files. The only time it would be necessary to re-use the camera/deck would be to re-capture any file that needed to be re-captured. Other than that, the camera/deck is not used to work "from".

I would never use my deck as a search and edit base - why would you? Within Vegas there isn't this facility anyway? You edit FROM these captured clips. Also editing these clips IS non-destructive - you don;t alter the captured clips - unless you delete or do something that isn;t part of the Vegas platform to "corrupt" them. What you ARE doing within Vegas is creating a set of NLE instructions. It is these INTRUCTIONS that will be finally used/employed to render a finished or partially finished project.

Hope this helps,

Grazie

I understand everything that you are saying. Maybe you didnt understand my post....when I use footage that I film, vegas splits all the clips nicely because my camera is set up correctly. The footage that i have obviously isnt striped and timecoded, there for when i used vegas to import the clip it came as one large file.

I need to know if there is any digital way to take that file and split it into smaller clips with out the loss of quality.

"Maybe you didnt understand my post" - Correct. I don't understand your post.

Blog Entries

If all you want to do is split the clip whilst editing, locate the point on the timeline for the split and press the S key.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacal Films View Post
    I understand everything that you are saying. Maybe you didnt understand my post....when I use footage that I film, vegas splits all the clips nicely because my camera is set up correctly. The footage that i have obviously isnt striped and timecoded, there for when i used vegas to import the clip it came as one large file.

I need to know if there is any digital way to take that file and split it into smaller clips with out the loss of quality.
    I think the only way is to split them manualy and if you want them in different files then after splitting, render each one as a new clip