Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Just switches off whenever I see an avi file!!

Default PC Just switches off whenever I see an avi file!!

I have a problem. I have an avi which I really want ot get on DVD, but whenever the icon for the file appears on the screen, or whenever I try to encode the file, my PC restarts. I know hte file isn't corrupt because I can view it through powerDVD 5 if I open the avi from within the program.
    I have another avi which wil play through wmp or powerDVD, but again, I cannot find a package to convert this into the necessary .vob and .ifo files required for Nero 6.

This is driving me crazy :twisted: and any help would be appreciated. I don't know if its relevant, but the first file has 'Grencode' in brackets. Has anyone seen this before, or does anyone know what it means?

If my memory serves me correctly (and it doesn't always these days), it sounds like a bit of warez. Grencode is a fairly common warex used to encode video (usually copyrighted material). Unless you can find the encoder and install it on your PC, then I think you are goosed.

Try a google on 'Grencode'

just because a file will play doesn't mean it's not corrupt.

explorer crashes all the time if you have corrupt videos on the pc. It's a bloomin' nuisance. If it's an avi, the best way is to open it in virtualdub, and remux it. this *SHOULD* make it a valid avi again, and the saved version should be ok. delete the original.

i'm fairly sure grencode is a who, not a what.

Cheers for the quick response. I've tried google, and got limited hits, all of which were attached to another movie file, so happens it could be a who rather than a what.
    If the file is corrupt, would that have happened during d/load or is the file no good at all (is it worth trying again as it takes some time!?).

I'll try the virtualdub thing later. Also, once I get a valid avi, or should I say 'if' I get a valid avi, how can I go about changing this to .vob and .ifo files to work on my standalone player? From what I've read so far this can be done from mpeg2, but I can't convert to that either.

As you can probably tell, I'm new to this whole thing, and lots of little bits of information are gradually helping, but I keep hitting walls.

Cheers again for responding.

the corrupt file could be that the person/people you got it off are sharing corrupt files, or it got corrupted once you got it.

no filesharing app should allow files to corrupt in transfer, so that can't be the problem. unless you use kazaa, which has no real hashing mechanism. mind you, if you use kazaa, you've got bigger problems.

as for converting avi>vob, you need to convert to mpeg-1 or mpeg-2.

try tmpgenc for an easy to use, cheap solution.

Chhers, I'll try that. I got the file using Bit Torrent Experimental, it says it checks the files as they transfer, so the file should be ok. I just don't want to bugger up my computer by letting this file keep shutting it down and running scan disk on every restart.

Right, I've run an avi through Virtualdub, is there any way to prevent the massive filesize? I thought 80Gb HDD might cope, but the filesize is 69Gb. Also, the avi that kept turning the computer off, isn't an avi, it claims to be an mpeg, though Virtualdub doesn't like it at all. :cry:

Having run the avi through VDub, the file still isn't in DVD format. I tried to run it through Cucusoft AVI to DVD converter, but then the file generated started to turn the computer off everytime it was on the screen. Should I give up now, or has anyone else had similar problems? :

Blog Entries

Ahh, the classic, "I downloaded a movie and it doesn't work" thread. How long would you say you've spent on trying to fix your problem - probably more in monetary terms than the cost of a DVD or cinema ticket?

Anyway, Greencode are a release group and the way in which it's been encoded will be given away by the file name. Normally they are in the format: moviename.releasegroup.encoder.capturetype.extensi on (not necesarily in that order).

Moviename: pretty obvious
    releasegroup: people that encoded the vid
    encoder: this is the important bit as it tells you what decoder you need - normally as follows:

DivX or Xvid - you need an MPEG4 decoder. Search the internet for DivX or Xvid. You can normally play Xvid with DivX and vice versa, but sometimes the very latest codecs are used and you may need to update. Sometimes beta codecs are used

SVCD/VCD - http://www.marcpeters.co.uk/what-is-a-vcd.html
    KVCD - http://www.marcpeters.co.uk/VCD-alternatives.html

WMV- hmmm

Download the latest codecs. Do not under any circumstance download any kind of codec pack.

Capturetype: How the movie was captured - normally DVD-rip, VHS-rip, Screener (a prelease DVD or VHS rip), Telesynch (TS - normally a high quality camcorder recording of a cinema screen) or Cam.

If you still can't get it to work, the guys at DVDhelp.com will be able to help.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
    Right, I've run an avi through Virtualdub, is there any way to prevent the massive filesize? I thought 80Gb HDD might cope, but the filesize is 69Gb. Also, the avi that kept turning the computer off, isn't an avi, it claims to be an mpeg, though Virtualdub doesn't like it at all. :cry:

Having run the avi through VDub, the file still isn't in DVD format. I tried to run it through Cucusoft AVI to DVD converter, but then the file generated started to turn the computer off everytime it was on the screen. Should I give up now, or has anyone else had similar problems? :
    ok, if you ran it through vdub, you have to select direct stream copy. you're saving as uncompressed avi there. not good.

if the thing that's breaking the pc is an mpeg file, run it through tmpgenc's mpeg tools.

Thanks for all your help. The file is a kvcd, so I'll have a try with that when I get home.

By hte way, the computer spec is:

AMD Athlon 2600+
    80Gb HDD
    512Mb RAM, DDR333
    Fat 32 file system
    O/S XP Pro
    Plextor DVDrw/CDrw
    Trying to use Nero v6 to burn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast