Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Wanted

Default Opinions Wanted

Hi all,
    Finally managed to get some of my stuff hosted (thanks to Marc for that).

This is my second music video, I shot it in 5 hours and spent a couple of weeks editing in my spare time, it cost 500 to make (which was my fee!)
    Your opinions are welcome but please dont give me a critique of the song as that is nothing to do with me.

I think its not to bad, although wholly unoriginal but the intention was to make something that showcased the artists whilst looking good - bling on a budget!

It streams OK on my broadband connection but I'd appreciate your comments regarding its downloadability on your system (include your connection speed) so's I can tweak it.

http://tongachutt.digital-director.com/Devius_Final.wmv

Thanks for watching!

Tonga

Tonga

I think it looks really good. The lighting makes it look more professional and I love the cuts you used. Also, the effects in the cuts do not make the video at all look amature and adds to the overall effect.

Great job and keep up the good work!

- Dan

Tonga-

Very good. What did you shoot it with? I didnt know people rapped over seas....
    Frank Sinatra - \"Thats Life, Biatch\"

Yes we "rap" in the UK too, but I cant imagine Indiana is hip-hop central, more C&W territory no?

To answer your question I shot it on a Canon XL1s and edited it in Premier Pro.

Tonga

Blog Entries

Ok, I'm gonna get shot down in flames for this critique

The individual lighting of the "groups" faces was top notch - I'm always impressed when I know I wouldn't be able to do something, and that's something I certainly couldn't do. The camera movement was fluid and, combined with the soft lighting, seperates this from 90% of the user videos I've seen before. It just has that professional feel to it.

However, and this is my personal opinion, I'm not sure the scenes inside the club fit well with head shots in PIP. It somehow seems unbalanced. Now I love PIP (I saw a Derren Brown programme the other day and was well impressed with what they did - if you haven't seen it, try and get a copy somewhere, cos the editing is superb - foound this link, but it was mainly the cutaways that impressed, which I doubt are here: http://www.channel4.com/entertainmen...deo/index.html), but I don't think you need it.

Very professional and a snip at 500!!!

Nothing too withering for the ego so far!

I'm inclined to agree with Marc about the dark stuff not working too well. I shot these scenes first, as insurance against missing parts of the lyric whilst shooting the more complex (logistically) club scenes. The logic being to quickly get footage of all the rappers singing the whole song.

Needless to say I didnt get everything I needed from the club as time was short and hence the dark scenes of the group in the vid.

thanks for the opinions...keep em comin!

tonga

Overall, I'm very impressed. So impressed actually that I'm most likely NOT going to make my entry on the comp. If this is the level I'll be up against then it would just be embarrassing for someone who's only actally got a couple of months edxperience of playing with his new camera. I've got one whole Mini-DV tape of footage, so been trying to think of a way of making an ad out of that. Not too successfully so far.

But, didn't I see the auto focus on the camera just lose it a slightly once in a while on the video? Or was the 'star trek soft focus' delliberate?

Hey Millsy, no fear I'm not gonna enter it as a)Its a music video thats too long and b) I got paid for it so I dont think it would be fair to enter!

As far as the soft focus goes I didnt use autofocus at all and if youve ever used an XL1s youll know that the viewfinders low resolution combined with the useless manual focus ring makes it very difficult to keep sharp. I left the footage in and pretend I did it that way on purpose!

thanks for the input

tonga

cheers... but it still doesn't stop me feeling 'scared off' by the quality of what I see from everyone else.

I'll feel a lot more confident the next time around when I'll hopefully have more than five minutes experience.

Oh and, I hope you rememebr to declare that 500 to the tax man

Blog Entries

Millsy, you've entered into a contract now, so I'm afraid you HAVE to enter the competition Look at some of the trite I've posted in the user video section and you'll soon feel like a comparative editing god!

Remember guys that there's also the opportunity to edit an "ad". Now this is a real cop-out on my behalf as the simple addition of a few tittles can turn anything into an add. For example Tonga's video could have easily been for an alcholpop ad - Bicardi Breezer and the like. With a little tweeking, I'm sure he could use the footage to enter

Remember, it's an imaginitive video that impresses... and that doesn't necesarily mean you have the best equipment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast