Thread: Video camera, digital, solid-state memory, recommendations?

Default Video camera, digital, solid-state memory, recommendations?

This question may be irritatingly specific whilst confusingly vague, so I apologise in advance.

I'm interested in video editing, but I don't particularly want to get in quite to the depth of tapes of footage and all the hassle involved (at the company I work we used to edit videos and we ended up with stacks of footage on tapes, great quality, but a pain to administer).

I'm looking to get a video camera of some description that records to solid-state memory, such as SD cards. The sort of resolution I'd be looking for would be at least 640x480, but preferably higher, closer to DVD resolution (720x576, I believe?). I'd want the footage at about 25fps, but higher wouldn't go amiss.
    I want it to record in a format that is actually vaguely useful, so not ASF (as a previous cam did..). MJPEG would probably be good, but I'm not overly concerned, as long as it's not too Windows-centric..

..because I use Linux and only linux on my PCs. I enjoy editing video using an app called Kino, although I may move onto LiVES or Cinelerra, but for now I like the simplicity of Kino.

Size is also a factor, as I want to be able to take this with me everywhere, for preference.

Aside from normal cameras, I'm also considering the Nokia N93 phone.

Is anyone willing or able to recommend anything that would fulfill these requirements?

Blog Entries

I dont understand whay you thinks tape would be a hassle? I use tape but I dont keep lots of tapes, I capture everything I want and store it on the computer, probelm solved.

DV cameras are by far and away the best for quality and ease of editing.

I have a small DV camera, sony pc6e, 150 quid on e bay, I take it everywhre, well nearly - does the job brilliantly.

Well in that case, let me just say "I'm stubborn and don't like anything tape-based".
    I've used assorted cams using tape and I've never liked it, basically.

You could always buy a Sony Cybershot picture camera as it has a very impresive 25fps video function, very small and descrete and the video comes out well. Try it in the shop first to see if it's what you are wanting.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst