Thread: Best Size to work with for still - images

Default Best Size to work with for still - images

Hi all,

Probably a simple questions, but does anyone know what is the best size to set your image/artwork to when starting out on creating a still image using something like photoshop that you will then insert into the Adobe Premier Pro?

The ones I have done so far keep stretching and looking pretty rubbish!

Cheers

Andy
    Andy
    andy@10yetis.co.uk
    ---------

10 Yetis have been known to have the odd dabble at marketing n\' stuff, penguins need not apply.

A couple of trains of thought on this one and the right answer depends on what you want to achieve and only you know that eh?

1) For performance then make your image the exact dimensions of your video project. Photoshop has presets for these. Also, remember to set the pixel aspect ratio in photoshop to be the same as your Premiere project.

2) Keep the photo as large as possible when imported into Premiere. This will allow the Premiere project to zoom in on the photo and keep all the original detail.

Just rememebr though that if the imiage is different propertions to the premiere project then get the settign sright on the image asset. i.e. on;ly stretch to fit if that's what you really want et c.

Thanks Alan, found it.
    For anyone else who uses Adobe and is a bit "special" like me.. a simple guide.

When you first open the project and you are asked to give it a name and where it is to be saved to, if you look in the right panel you will see all the tech info.

About 3 lines down you will see figures like 720x534 or alike. I then set my canvas size to this in Photoshop.

One additional point, I think it may be better to set your canvas size slightly bigger in photoshop as I still had a slight black border (a tiny one) one some of my stills.
    Andy
    andy@10yetis.co.uk
    ---------

10 Yetis have been known to have the odd dabble at marketing n\' stuff, penguins need not apply.

In the PAL tv format doesn't the still image size have to be at least 768 X 576 and the pixel aspect ratio set to non-square (is that just another way of saying rectangular).