Thread: Videostudio 10 crashing

Default Videostudio 10 crashing

i've been using Ulead videostudio 10 recently, and have an issue of it crashing on a regular basis. I get a windows error, and have to shut it down. normally when i reboot the program, it lets me retrieve the last point of the project i was working on. But today, it shut down and i lost 3 days worth of work. not impressed. it even ignored my recent saves, reverting to a point in the project that had been saved 3 days ago.
    Anyone have any ideas.

Cheers,
    John

Are you using a laptop or desktop computer to do your editing on? Personally I would prefer to do editing on a desktop computer as the vast majority of laptops haven't got the memory, processor speed and hard disk storage to work with video. In your next post give a run down of your computer spec and whether or not you are using a desktop model or laptop and when did you last defragment your hard disk, and one final thing are you saving to an internal or external hard disk?

Hi there...thanks for the reply.
    I'm using an HP Pavilion desk top, 2.5 gig processor, 256 meg ram, 250 gig hard drive. I'm saving to my internal hd which at present time has about 90 gig of free space. I haven't defragmanted for a couple of months. I'll try that and see if it makes a difference.
    I'd like to eventually have a unit specifically built for editing (wouldn't we all) but for now, this one shares my internet, email, ect. duties.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.

John

HP's usually have Intel Pentium 4's with Hyperthreading, look to see if yours has this, it certainly helps when it comes to demanding tasks such as video editing. You really need 512 MB or 1GB of RAM memory, as out of that 256, Windows XP needs 128 to run successfully. Have you a dedicated graphics card or is the system sharing more memory with an inbuilt display? You definitely need to defrag that hard disk now, it needs to be done on a regular basis when working with video, check it once a week. Also switch off gimmicks such as screensavers and disable anti virus software while capturing.

Thanks for the tips... after I posted I realised I typed 256 ram. I am in fact running 512, but I'm thinking of going to 1 gig just to speed things up a bit.

I'll get in the defragmenting tonight. I'll check into the other things you mentioned.

thanks again.