Thread: Which Camcoder?

1. Default Which Camcoder?

Hi fellows

I'm looking purchasing a video camera for my heavy duty video editing. I'm to make a decision between a Sony in-built HDD camcorder(http://www.cnet.com.au/camcorders/ca...9271297,00.htm) and DVD camcorder (http://www.ciao.co.uk/Sony_Handycam_...805E__6504166). I'm using premiere pro 2.0 which is best at avi but not sure if capturing from DVD camcorder provides a best quality as in mini tape/HDD based camcorders.

thanx

Blog Entries

Disregarding factors such as optics and electronics camera pucture quality is DV - HDD - DVD.

For standard definition cameras DV has the highest bitrate hence the best potential picture quality.

It is also the most straight forward to edit.

I suggest that unless there are compelling reasons to not use tape that DV is the best soloution.

What do you mean by 'heavy duty' BTW? Do you mean you want 'tough' cameras?

3. Default

Hi Mark

I'm currently editing weddings, parties, etc. I have already a mini DV cam but looking for the second camera with advance technologies as compared to the phasing out DVs. I'm to make a choice between DVD & HDD camcorder but would like to know the disadvantages of DVD camcorder

Secondly guys i'm experiencing problems with this website, i'm referred to login every time i browse through links. Any technical support on this?

It happens to us, too. It's not a bug, it's a feature! :p

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mihai View Post
    It happens to us, too. It's not a bug, it's a feature! :p
    Doesn't soumd like a nice feature at al. Even now, after viewing your reply, when i press reply or quote i'm asked to login again sometimes wouldn't go through the first time.

Blog Entries

DV is not phasing out really. Most people considor it the most reliable and best quality format for sd recording by a mile.

A big problem with dvd camcorders is thier low bit rate, much lower than DV.

HD cams also generally have a lower bit rate, and when that drive is full...,.

Imho the future is in solid state - some pro cams are going that way but at present the media are way too expensive for most. I think tape will be the best choice untill ram is cheap.

Also, DV data is much more portable and easier to edit.

7. Default

thanx mark!