Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording Sony PSP Game Footage

Question Recording Sony PSP Game Footage

Hi,

Just starting out and currently cannot find any previous posts on this subject.

I would like to connect a Sony Playstation Portable to a laptop and record the game footage and capture still game shots.

Before everyone jumps on the video capture card route, the problem is that it can only be connected via USB.

I have looked around at converters such as Dazzle but they assume you have jack plugs of audi and video coming from the unit.

Can anybody advise me the first stages on how to complete the above? At the moment the editing part is not a worry for me, just getting the info onto the pc.

Many thanks in advance.

Brad

Hi TypeOne,

I havn't got a PSP myself so pardon my ignorance, but is there any product on the market to give a composite / s-video output (e.g. a set for playing PSP on your TV) for the PSP? The audio part if probably easy using a jack to jack in the headphone socket, but the visuals may be a problem.

Again, not sure about specifics as USB is unusual method for this sort of thing, particularly if the USb to PSP is used for charging (not sure what it can do exactly.) You may be able to trick some software into thinking the PSP is a webcam, then recording it, but that relies on the PSP sending a video stream through the USB which is unlikely without a hack.

Sounds a difficult task and I'm sorry I can't be more help as I havn't got a PSP

HTH

Hi,

Thanks for your input and probably raises a few more points that I did not make clear.

As far as I am aware there is no product in the market place to plug the PSP into the TV. It does have a headphone socket. The charging socket is completely separate from the usb interface so it does not interfere there. I don't think this makes a difference but the socket out from the PSP is like a small T-shape and the other end is the typical USB connection to fit a PC.

Your right, certainly not an easy task and it's amazing how I can't find the answer at the moment.

One thought was to connect the PSP to a Video Camera, but not sure if that would work.

Thanks for your input and hope the above clarifies a little further.

Ok that make it a bit clearer, but what exactly does the USB port transfer? MP3s to the PSP? Also can software be installed on the PSP.

I may be wrong, but I think it's unlikely for the PSP to automatically stream the video, or even be able to output video, via the USB port. If it does then capturing it on the computer shouldn't be too difficult as it will porbably see it as a webcam or something similar. Your best bet is trying to find an output to a TV that will be able to be plugged into a capture card - then plain sailing from there.

Just a quick google found: http://www.pspontv.com/
    It looks way overpriced but the fact that they exist is a good sign - maybe a look round wll help?!

Hi, the usb allows connection to the PC which then recognises the PSP Magic Gate Memory Stick and allows you to transfer files around like music
    (Extract songs from your CDs and transfer music from PC - Supports formats including ATRAC3, .mp3, .wav and .wma
    - Gracenote MusicID CD album identification.)

and videos (Transfer videos including .avi, .mov, .mp4, .mpg and .wmv files and watch them on the go).

Thank you for the link as I have also been here, but I do not feel the quality is what I would like to give my customers. This system simply projects the images.

Do you think contacting a game publisher might help as they are the ones given the problems normally?

Many thanks in advance as this is so frustrating...

ive found a 14 (Pund sterling) Option - On ebay

Quote Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
    ive found a 14 (Pund sterling) Option - On ebay
    Game, set and match to Luke!

Hi Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately the oput from this projection is not of a high enough quality.

Quote Originally Posted by TypeOne View Post
    Hi Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately the oput from this projection is not of a high enough quality.
    I don't think PSP has a AV out, I will check theior specs for you though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
    I don't think PSP has a AV out.
    It doesn't. It's a bitch of a machine actually. Bloody horrible thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast