Thread: freezing and very annoying

Default freezing and very annoying

Hi all, totally new to all of this editing video, so imagine my surprise when i tried the powerdirector express ne software that came with my jvc harddrive camcorder to find that it wasnt all that bad(and quite an easy program to use) until half an hour into my work the message "powerdirector has encountered a problem and needs to shut down". Very annoying, but being new to me i tried again, 40 mins later same old message, it would,nt be that bad if it gave you the option to save your work first, but it dont. Has anybody else had this problem? or am i wasting time with this product and go and get something different, if so what do you reccommend. Many thanks.

I haven't used Powerdirector so I don't know it, but could you give the spec of your computer, memory, cpu speed and type, harddisk size and are you using a laptop or desktop? When did you last defrag your harddisk and are you running any other software or utilities during the capture process such as screensavers, virus checkers, scheduled tasks... if so switch them off or just disable them during capture to see if that makes a difference. Try using Windows Movie Maker to see if that will allow you to capture all your footage. I only capture ten minutes of video at a time, save that and then capture another ten and so on.

hi nikosony, thanks for the reply, my pc computer is running xp with sp2, cpu is 2.8 with 504 mb of ram and a 80gb harddisk.Defrag is done on a weekly basis and i switch every program of apart fron norton.Ive tried windows movie maker but it doesn,t even let me import them as i dont think it works with these files.Ive emailed cyberlink about this and they sugest uninstalling and installing without any antivirus running, maybe i should try this....thanks again Dave

Unless you are permanently connected to the internet with your broadband connection, you don't need antivirus software running all the time. I would first try disabling it to see if that helps, it usually does but uninstalling it and reinstalling it again seems a bit drastic and time consuming. The 'odd' file format that those harddisc camcorders use aswell can cause problems as a lot of the popular video editing software app's won't recognise the camcorder when you have it attached and then it won't let you capture either. You are basically stuck with the very basic software that comes with the camcorder and can't use anything more sophisticated. Have you tried doing a Google search for shareware or maybe even freeware apps that might at least allow you to capture from the camera and convert it to another more usable format?

I'd do as Cyberlink suggest and try a reinstall whilst the antivirus is switched off. It will take less than 10 minutes.

Failing that, buy a 20 minute timer and save your projects regularly. (In fact, a 5 minute timer is long enough...)

You have probably realised by now that your camcorder has effectively painted you into a corner as far as editing software options are concerned. Hard drive cameras typically record in mpeg format, not DV AVI. This narrows your editing options considerably, particularly when transfers are via USB and not firewire.

Nikosony is right - you dont need antivirus running whilst you are working offline. There are loads of other things that can be switched off too to optimise editing conditions. When you have a spare hour, read this:

http://www.videoguys.com/TweaksWINXPVE.html