Thread: Upgrading from a Digital Camcorder

Default Upgrading from a Digital Camcorder

Right now, I'm using an Aiptek Is-dv, a digital camcorder.

As you can see from my footage, I got my money's worth. It's only in focus when the subject's about 2-3 feet from the cam, it only has an incremental digital zoom, the light only works when taking photos, the microphone is stinky with no aux input, etc...

So, I'm looking for an upgrade. The most I could spend on a cam would be 400-450 USD (and that's still pushing it a bit). I only shoot videos for YouTube, so what should I get? I definitely need zoom and a light and a decent mic or at least aux input for a mic.

Should I get a MiniDV, DVD, or Hard Drive camcorder? Perhaps something like this?
    Last edited by MysteryGuitarMan; 11-15-2006 at 08:16 AM.

Editing footage from anything, but tape (minidv, 8, D8, Hi8,, etc) is shotty. You would think that capturing to hard drive would be great, but the compression techniques and the proprietary formats used by the camera maker make editing difficult. Same goes for DVD. Plus for DVD cams, one glitch on a disk can make the entire disk no good.

Until technology improves, tape media is the best media for recording. If you need more proof about the quality of tape media, just look at the types of cameras the pros are using: Canon XL series, Sony vx2100, panasonic dvx/dvc.

I'm by no means an expert. I have worked with all of the media you speak of and tape media is by far my favorite.
    Sony DCR_TRV240- Digital 8
    Dell 4600 P4 3GHz, 1GB RAM
    Nvidia 6600GT 128mb
    Sony Vegas Movie Studio 6
    Photodex ProShow 2.6

Blog Entries

^^^ I agree.

DV is a relaible mature format with wide support. It has the best picture potential of all the current sd formats. People who edit footage often have problems with dvd and hd recorders.

I am sure the future is in solid state storage but for know it's gotta be dv.

oo...

I was poking around my attic and found a Panasonic PV-L780D. It has VHS-C tape but it's probably from the late 90s. Is it worth buying the $30 battery, a $55 charger, and a PC cable or should I just buy a new cam?
    Last edited by MysteryGuitarMan; 11-15-2006 at 08:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Buy a new cam. On e bay you can get dv cams for around 100 if you are not fussy and any dv cam will poop on that vhs-c cam.

Also vhs-c being analogue will need a decent capture box, thats another 100.