Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which software is best?

Default Which software is best?

Hi all, my first video project here.
    I would like to joint a bunch of different video files together using varied transitions and morphing styles. Then eventually add a sound track to it. I am hoping for the best video/audio quality possible.

What software would you recommend?

Thanx,
    PepeLapiu in Calgary, Alberta

Well it is not the best, but Final Cut Pro on the Mac is one of the best mid-range edit software packages.

For PC Sony Vegas or Canopus Edius are by far the best two mid-range software packages (way ahead of Premiere by far). Vegas and Edius are really stable and won't crash every five minutes like Premiere.

If you want the best then AVID Adrenaline, Nitris, though Media Composer is okay.
    The green top I\'m wearing in my Avatar is a disguise. I can sneak around on a Green Screen set without being seen by the editor during post

^^ have to disagree there - vegas 'way ahead of premire'!!! - I really dont think so - for me premire pro is the best editing software on the PC apart from avid (which in truth is much the same)- and as for the 'crashing' - I have used premire pro for a good few years and have never had any problems with it.. Plus Premires intergation with other apps is supperoir to anything else..

I've also used final cut/motion for a few years and to call it mid-range is absurd!! would half the professional editors use FC if it was midrange??!!!
    --------------

but in all honestly the very fact that you are asking the question of which the best software to buy indicates to me that you have little exprencience in video editing, and just because you have the best software (prem pro/AE /FC/shake etc) doesnt mean the your project is automatically come out great.. in my opinion if your on PC then Premire pro is what you need, if on Mac - Final Cut. - but this I think is going overboard for what you want to do..

..from looking at what you acually want to do getting something like premire elements will be fine - perhaps with the free winmorph plugin aswell..

Blog Entries

I have to disagree too. This site is not a site for editing professionals with 20 grand rigs, we all use our home pcs and 'real world' software.

The quality compromises using this software is miniscule especially when considoring the quality of the source material.

I personally wouldnt say fcp is midrange, and neither would I say vegas is superior to premier, I have used both and I think it comes down to many factors as to which you might prefer.

All these programs are commonly used to produce work for broadcast.

I suggest downloading free trails of popular editors and check out the ones you prefer.

I have used premiere since ver 6 and it crashes and has random errors and then all of a sudden the project file gets corrupted. Very embarassing when you have a client at your shoulder.

(This is why I moved to edius, absolutely solid and very efficient codecs, edits HDV like it's DV.)

Having said that it is easy to learn and premiere elements and Pro 2.0 seem very stable, a big improvement or maybe nowadays the hardware is more capable of sustaining the rescourses required to run them.

I agree that premiere elements is a good place to start. Cheap and can do most things.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Blog Entries

I used prem and vegas a few years ago. I kept crashing prem but ndver vegas so i went with vegas... I didnt really persevere wiith prem, I was trying a friends copy and was probably doing all sorts of weird things prem didnt like when i didnt really know what i was about.
    Last edited by Mark W; 11-22-2006 at 01:35 PM.

^^ I would suggest that these crashes in premire are as a result from your computer or maybe more accuratly because of incompatablies(sp) with your hardware and prem - I think now that we're on version 2 and better and better computers are about this is a thing of the past..

Ive got core 2 (2x2.6), 4 gig ram, 1024 grapics card, with raid setup - perhaps that why i've never had any problems with it..

but the point is - to say one app is head and shoulders above the rest is silly - at the end of the day all apps, premire/FC/avid all consist of a timeline and effect/transtion palettes.. and that is all is needed for what needs to be done here..

As for video/audio quiltilty -which is whats in question - all the different apps all seem to have the same standardised export settings - so at the end of the day, once you pay 300 upwards on a video editing app - there all the same.. just down to personal preference...

I'd have to agree. Premiere Pro does not crash on me any more often than notepad does.

Innocent. In the grand scheme of things, FCP is mid-range. For the record I use Final Cut for my professional productions. But if you have iMovie at one end and Nitris at the other, FCP is well and truly mid range. Yes professional all over the world use FCP. Depends which way you look at it. I was placing it mid-range from a price point of view. But Final Cuts colour correction capabilities, which is a big part of any series professional colourist/editor, are seriously lacking compared to high end Avids, by that I don't mean the cheap Xpress, which is not the same thing at all and is a consumer programme in comparison.

Mark, in the real world, if you are talking a few quid. Then I would say iMovie is the best thing out there, even compaired to Premiere.

The poster didn't mention how much he has to spend.

But I would say.

Up to 300 = iMovie for Mac or Movie maker for PC
    Up to 1000 = FCP for Mac or Vegas, Edius for PC
    Skies the limit = High end Avid with 100,000 rig to run it on. Or FCP with high end Mac hardware maxed out would be okay if you don't have that kind of money.
    The green top I\'m wearing in my Avatar is a disguise. I can sneak around on a Green Screen set without being seen by the editor during post

^^^ kind of agree with you, its just that someone is asking for software that can use transtions, effects and put a soundtrack on.. to follow this with FCP being midrange kind of implys that its not that great. High end avid systems would be great - but its like saying to someone who wants to learn a simple song on the guiter to get a les paul copy with effects pedels and amps, when in reality any old gutier will do...

As for imovie being better than premiere (dont know if your refering to pro or elements)- I say absoloute rubbish!! As you say "colour correction capabilities, which is a big part of any series professional colourist/editor" are suriously lacking in Imovie compared to premire..
    Last edited by innocent_bystander; 11-18-2006 at 03:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast