Thread: Capturing NTSC analog video

Default Capturing NTSC analog video

I have a JVC GR-DX107 camcorder which has an AV input. This is hooked up to a Toshiba video recorder which plays both NTSC and PAL tapes. The SCART output on the video recorder is connected through a converter to the three phono cables and thence the AV input on the camcorder. It's a PAL camcorder.

Playing a PAL tape I get a perfect picture and can then push this on to a PC through the camera's firewire output.

Playing an NTSC tape, the image on the TV is fine. Unfortunately, the whole image on the camera is shifted upward by about 10%. The very top of the picture is cut off and appears at the bottom of the screen.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to correct the picture I get on the camcorder when playing back NTSC, if that's possible. Thanks.

All modern PAL tv sets will allow you to view NTSC material with no problem. The problem seems to be that your camcorder won't. It will only playback PAL successfully and not NTSC, it might even playback the French system SECAM but there is no guarantee. Do you have a computer set up for editing or do you just want to view the tapes?

Do you have a computer set up for editing or do you just want to view the tapes?

Thanks for your reply. I have a computer set up to do the editing. Ideally what I'd like to do is digitise each NTSC video tape through the camcorder onto the computer. That's no problem with a PAL tape, but it is with NTSC.

Perhaps I should consider a seperate digitising box like Dazzle or something? I don't know much about these, where could I find out more?