Thread: JVC > COMPUTER capture issues.

Default JVC > COMPUTER capture issues.

Well, im basicly new to all this, i just found my dads old JVC GR-DV1 and bought some SONY dv tapes. I have the docking station which allows me to view it on the tele. I also have a Radeon 9600 Series graphics card which i have an tv input slot which i was able to connect the dock to.

The good thing is, the computer recognises that there is an "ATI Radeon Theatre Capture Device" operating. The settings i have no idea what to set them to either.

I pressed play and such on the dock and waited to see the preview screen in "movie maker" it was extremely distored and looked as if there was an earthquake.

(i loaded the video that i caught on youtube. btw i only tested the camera so the footage was like 10seconds long.. thus the shortness)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2CRgtRLv1WQ

I attempted to alter settings and cannot capture anything at all only a black screen. The tape plays fine on camera play back and on tv playback. Would this be a connection issue? or software?

If i can be of any more help would details id be happy. Going on a surf trip on monday (btw im australian ) and would hopefully be able to capture some footage and place on computer.

Thanks very much.

Hi, does this camera have a firewire(also called DV link, Ilink and ieee1394) connection, this would be the best way to go. It gives you excellent quality AVI files ready to be edited. If you don't have a firewire port in your PC, it is as simple as slotting in a cheap PCI card which will install itself if you are using XP.

As for the capture card, it sounds like you need to go in to the settings for the card when you open win mm. Choose the capture device and then click on settings and go into camera settings and make sure that the format matches your camera, NTSC or PAL. When this is done go through to the capture screen and see if it is right, if not go back and try another.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Default Nope

The jvc doesnt have a firewire cable, unfortunelty it is late old technology and the australian settings are pal but the settings have

pal_b
    pal_d
    pal_g
    etc. so il give them each ago. and then if not il try the others.

also the settings ask... COMPOSITE OR SVIDEO which is prefered?
    il let you know asap. thanks.

springsly none of them work :S ....

nothing just a blank screen with a flicker at the top... im stumped. worked for split seconds and now it doesnt.

looking at the picture in your thread I would say that you are using a composite connection, so this should be your choice. On the back of your radeon card do you have a fly lead or does it connect directly. Make sure this is connected to the composite in connection.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production