Thread: New Here

Default New Here

Hi everyone just new today, I have for the first time tryed to put my DV footage onto DVD but the quality is not as near good as the original tape.

I use Windows Movie Maker to edit and saved the file type as: CV-AVI PAL then i use Nero vision express to burn onto DVD. When i view it on my DVD or DIVX player at home it's not as crisp and clear and the contrast looks very bright.

I would like to get them much better quality but i'm a complete novice, am i saving it wrong for the UK and is the software i use not up to much.

I know that Adobe Premier is quite good and i have a 6.0 copy but havent got a clue how to use it, where could i get a clear and easy to follow basic tutorials with pictures.

Is there also a better burning software thats simple to use.

All help most appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by gerryt View Post
    Hi everyone just new today, I have for the first time tryed to put my DV footage onto DVD but the quality is not as near good as the original tape.

I use Windows Movie Maker to edit and saved the file type as: CV-AVI PAL then i use Nero vision express to burn onto DVD. When i view it on my DVD or DIVX player at home it's not as crisp and clear and the contrast looks very bright.

I would like to get them much better quality but i'm a complete novice, am i saving it wrong for the UK and is the software i use not up to much.

I know that Adobe Premier is quite good and i have a 6.0 copy but havent got a clue how to use it, where could i get a clear and easy to follow basic tutorials with pictures.

Is there also a better burning software thats simple to use.

All help most appreciated
    If you're thinking 'Adobe' then I would consider getting a copy of Premiere Elements. It's the 'home' version of Premiere Pro and even has DVD authoring with menus built in so you'll have an all-in-one package. If you do this then also consider buying it as a bundle with Photoshop Elements for even better value.

Never used WMM so can't comment on your quality issues. sorry.

Welcome to the forums gerryt

It's perhaps the bitrate that windows movie maker is using is not high enough. I just had a quick look and it seems as though it is using 512 for export which is not high enough. Usually I try to go between 4500 and 6500, depending on the length of the DVD. Try downloading a trail version of an encoder and use to convert to mpeg2

Heres one of the best with a free trial download http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by shiner View Post
    Welcome to the forums gerryt

It's perhaps the bitrate that windows movie maker is using is not high enough. I just had a quick look and it seems as though it is using 512 for export which is not high enough. Usually I try to go between 4500 and 6500, depending on the length of the DVD. Try downloading a trail version of an encoder and use to convert to mpeg2

Heres one of the best with a free trial download http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html

Hope this helps
    Not sure what you mean, i don't make movies a lot, its just some mountain bike footage shot from my helmet cam that i want onto DVD

It is not win mm that is the problem, if you capture to DV-avi and then output to DV-avi then it is as good as when you captured it, play a captured file in media player and then your saved output dv-avi file and the quality should look the same.

Nero has always been a poor encoder, and this is probably where the problem lay. Tmpgenc is a very good encoder but as Alan says Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements gives you the whole package, it is easy to learn and the mainconcept encoder included is good.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Gerryt, did you use a Firewire cable to connect the camcorder to the computer?

Yes, iv'e got a Sony TRV 25e and connected with a firewire, i'm going to try a free 30 day trial of premier elements 3.0 and see how i get on.

Just another thought, does the type or quality of DVD disks you burn to matter, i'm using cheap Ritek printable disks.