Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still Need Dvd To Avi Conversion S'ware

Default Still Need Dvd To Avi Conversion S'ware

Come on guys, I thought this one would be an "easy win" for some of you experienced editors out there. PLEASE HELP

There are tv clips which i would like to keep and edit together. I have copied them off my DVD recorder onto my pc to edit and piece together in prem pro 2 but since Prem Pro does not appear to recognise DVD files either VOB/IFO etc (seems strange when the software costs so much or am i missing something ???)

I recently purchased software from AVS to carry out the conversion from VOB/IFO to avi/mpeg2 for then editing in Prem pro. Unfortunately this particular software appears very "ropey" to say the least.

Has anybody had similar issues or can anybody recoomend the best software to carry out the conversion

Try virtualdubmpeg2. Open .vob files and go in to Video/compression and choose a codec, huffyuv is free and lossless or download the panasonic DV codec. If the audio is dd5.1 or a3 you will require the ac3 decompressor from

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...compressor.htm

as vdub doesn't natively support ac3, choose, audio/full processing mode and then compression/pcm and then choose file save as AVI.

OR

try renaming the .VOB files to .mpg that sometimes works too.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Many thanks I'll download virtualdub and give it ago (but maybe not tonight !!)

I use 'xilisoft dvd ripper' or 'dvd shrink' - both work fine..

Thanks very much all, I'll give them ago as the virtualdub wasn't very good
    Ta

Also can try winavi very fast and have trial version.

Innocent Bystander, if your reading this, please tell me how dvd shrink converts DVD to avi as I have looked through all options and cannot locate the required settings. Ta

It doesn't. What dvd shrink does is squash a full size shop bought DVD on to a 4.7gb single layer disc, leaving all the menus and features in place.

It has a built in decrypter that is now out of date and won't decrypt a lot of newer DVDs.

Why do you say VirtualDub didn't work very well?
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

VideoCharge can help you to convert DVD to MPEG-2/AVI format. It is not free but you can evaluate a full-blown version during 20-day trial period.

sorry - what i should of said was dvd shrink AND DVD ripper work fine.. dvd shrink to 'capture' the image and dvd ripper to convert it..
    Last edited by innocent_bystander; 11-26-2006 at 12:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast