Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 important questions that I can't work out!

Red face 3 important questions that I can't work out!

Hi again guys, hope all is well.

I have 3 questions that I can't find the answers too anywhere, Hope you can help

Question 1.

In PP2, when I'm wanting to insert a piece of footage in the middle of a already packed timeline, how do i go about this, moving every thing in front of it forward so as it moves in?
    (I've tried all the tools, and for me none of them do this) (Also tried selecting the track tool and selecting the whole track at once but it still doesn't allow me to select all tracks at once, to move everything up. I thought it might have been the rolling tool but nope !!1

Question 2.

Online editing- I have always read that the final piece of editing is usually done on line, for broadcast, movies etc, is this true? What is online editing?
    I figured its editing straight through to your camera, but how can editing be done before hand, then done direct while online to your camera with raw footage, hmmmm

Question 3.

I was editing a movie that was made in HI Def a while back and my computer done it well.
    I got the movie off a DVD and turned it to AVI,
    however, thinking that my computer was great and that it's easy good enough for me to edit Hi Def, i was shocked when i bought a magazine and it had to HI DEF AVI files attached and when i put them on my computer and tried to edit them, PP2 barely could run them. When I tried to render work area, it took roughly 15 minutes to render under one minute of footage.

now how could this be that that AVI my computer couldn't handle, but a Hi Def movie ripped from DVD, my computer could edit fine.

Once again- I don't understand

Any input would be appreciated, Cheers

whoops!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by miwhel; 11-08-2006 at 06:23 PM.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Quote Originally Posted by john12 View Post
    Question 1.

In PP2, when I'm wanting to insert a piece of footage in the middle of a already packed timeline, how do i go about this, moving every thing in front of it forward so as it moves in?
    (I've tried all the tools, and for me none of them do this) (Also tried selecting the track tool and selecting the whole track at once but it still doesn't allow me to select all tracks at once, to move everything up. I thought it might have been the rolling tool but nope !!1

Question 2.

Online editing- I have always read that the final piece of editing is usually done on line, for broadcast, movies etc, is this true? What is online editing?
    I figured its editing straight through to your camera, but how can editing be done before hand, then done direct while online to your camera with raw footage, hmmmm

Question 3.

I was editing a movie that was made in HI Def a while back and my computer done it well.
    I got the movie off a DVD and turned it to AVI,
    however, thinking that my computer was great and that it's easy good enough for me to edit Hi Def, i was shocked when i bought a magazine and it had to HI DEF AVI files attached and when i put them on my computer and tried to edit them, PP2 barely could run them. When I tried to render work area, it took roughly 15 minutes to render under one minute of footage.

now how could this be that that AVI my computer couldn't handle, but a Hi Def movie ripped from DVD, my computer could edit fine.
    1 Hold down CTRL as you drag the clip to the timeline, you will get a saw tooth marker appear at the cut you are putting the clip in.

2 Don't understand the question. If an NLE does it for you then best leave it at that. If you are talking about live broadcast, then it is more of a production thing than video editing eg using a mixing desk to cut to different cams and recorded feeds.

2 If you ripped a DVD movie then it probably wasn't Hi Def. If it was shot with a HiDef cam then it was compressed to SD for DVD. Having said that there are different types of HD/HDV if you had an HDV 1440x1080 file then Ppro would be QUITE happy to edit that, but if the file included with the mag was full HD 1920x1080 then that is a whole different thing entirely.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

2- A NLE may do the job, but just read an article on a production company whom made a 7 part series for channel 7. Now they used Final Cut Pro to edit their series and then for the final cut, done it on line. (That's what they stated) so if that's so, I don't really get what editing on line is!

3. So once HDV is compressed to fit on DVD, it then becomes Standard Definition again?
    Is that correct? What is the point then of filming it in Hi Def in the first place.
    And I'm not sure which aspect ratio the HD was, but PP2 didn't actually have trouble itself, it just took ages to render. (So I think that would be more computer strength than anything)
    Maybe, I don't know

Offline editing is using a downconverted copy of the original footage so any effects applied can be seen in real time and allows quick rendering of the timeline. When the editor is happy with this then you go ......

Online, which is applying all the effects, cuts etc that you used on the downconverted footage in the offline edit to the original footage

You record in high def to deliver in standard def on a DVD because high def is 'better' and you need to remember that standard def DVD is just one delivery platform. Others are appearing soon enough.

I always shoot and edit high def. once editted I then export my timeline(s) appropriate to the delivery platform in question. This is typically SD MPEG2 fro DVD burning.

Also, although PP2 does natively support high def editing it does so slowly and you can expect longer export times. If you want to edit in real time and possibly even export in real time then you need a deeper wallet my friend.

You can look to www.cineform.com for their Aspect HD s/w for realtime editting. I use this and it works just fine and you can get away with a lower spec PC too!

But for realtime exporting then you need serious money. The cheapest I know of is the new Matrox RT.X2 whcih is at least four figures in cash.

I've been looking at those Matrox RT.x2.
    How much different is the RT.x2 as apposed to the RTx100 (which is obviously cheaper)
    Are they both made to help with editing speeds, or are they completely different units used for different purposes?

I spent a heap on getting a good computer (foolishly) thinking this is what is most important, but now I'm about to invest in a HDV Camera, I'm realizing that my pockets are getting more and more empty!

Shiner- you say that they get it already and then go on line to do this, how is that done!
    Do they just copy all the transitions and effects onto the new footage on line?
    Don't really understand! Well sort of do, I knew that this is how they cut most bigger products, but not how they go about it!

By the way Alan, thanks to you, I now understand 'tracking, color correcting & rotoscoping all in AE7,
    so remind me when my pockets start to fill again (if ever) to send you a thanks

Cheers
    Last edited by john12; 11-10-2006 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by john12 View Post

Shiner- you say that they get it already and then go on line to do this, how is that done!
    Do they just copy all the transitions and effects onto the new footage on line?
    Don't really understand! Well sort of do, I knew that this is how they cut most bigger products, but not how they go about it!
    Online editing = working with the original footage in the timeline of your editing program
    Offline editing = working with a downconverted (smaller file size) copy of the original footage

Like you said your PC could hardly cope with the HI DEF AVI files, but it should cope with the downconverted copies. After you are happy with the edited version you then replace the copied file with the HD original and all the same effects and cuts are applied.

Finally get it, thank you very much!
    So basically if your editing sweet is good enough to edit HiDef at almost 'realtime', then you should never have to edit offline, Correct?

Yes exactly, you've got it. Basically offline editing was used when PC's weren't powerfull enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast