Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rendering quailty

Default Rendering quailty

I have heard that 'uncompressed avi' is the best video quality render? I cannot seem to find this in the list at all? I am using Sony Vegas 7.

I copied my film to DVD eariler and watched it on my TV and the quality was much better on my pc.

Any help, thanks.

Blog Entries

For AVI you go to File - Render - Choose 'Video for Windows (*.AVI)' from the Save As Type drop down list. The template is 'Default Template (uncompressed)'

Blog Entries

When it comes to quality there are many important factors to considor.

Perhaps the most important is the 'crap in crap out' principle. This sums up bluntly an essential idea... you cannot get back what you dont have in the first place. This is usefully applied to the production of videos. If your original footage is poor then it cant be improved on.

Specifically in this case - if your original footage is in DV format then that image cannot be improved upon by rendering to uncompressed video, all that will achieve is no further degredation and a HUGE file.

As a general rule there is no point in using a less compressed format than your original.

Assuming your original is dv when it is made into a dvd it goes through a further stage of compression that does reduce quality by a small amount.

This difference is not likely to ruin a viewers pleasure or even be noticable except with a direct comparison with the DV version. I have tried looking a dvd I have made and compared it to a DV version printed to tape. The tape is definitely better.

Comparing anything viewed in the pc to your tv is unlikely to tell you anything other than it looks different, it depends vastly on the quaility of your tv and how well the dvd has been made.

Comparing dvd on pc to dvd on tv for me always looks better on the tv. Are you doing this or comparing dv on pc with dvd on tv? If so that may explain why it looks better on the pc.

Thanks for the great replies.

When I render my video, I then watch it on my pc. When i put my rendered video onto a DVD and watch it on my TV, the quality has decreased.

As Mark says...
    "Are you doing this or comparing dv on pc with dvd on tv? If so that may explain why it looks better on the pc."
    What does the DVD look like when you play it on your PC?.
    When you rendered your MPEG 2 from Vegas what template did you use?.

When I render it, the settings are

video for windows (avi)

default template (uncompressed)

To make a DVD?. You need to render to MPEG2. What file type did you use in architect to make your DVD?.

Umm I dont know about that one sorry. I just click 'make DVD' in architect and burn it straight to Disc. Is there something else I have to do?

You need to render your video out of Vegas to MPEG2 if your going to make a DVD. Use the DVD PAL template NOT the default. If you've used a lot of effects in your video you then need to click the 'custom' button and select 'best' in the video rendering quality. Then put that lot (MPEG2" file) into architect and prepare your menu and 'make DVD'

Thanks friend, good guy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast