Thread: Questions about video editing

Question Questions about video editing

I am in the military and am overseas. I am trying to make a video from some of the training we have done. I have been using a JVC DV800 camcorder. I use the pixela program that came with the cam to capture the video onto my pc. The cam captures at 160x120 and when I capture it to my pc I can only capture it at the same res. When I try to make the vid into a VCD or try edit the video the res is horrible. Is there any program or advice anyone can give me on how to make this video have a higher res without all the digital pixels ruining the vid? Or am I just screwed lol? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

You need to capture from tape into your PC via Firewire. Any other transfer method is a waste of time. What you've filmed will be far higher than the res you state. Use something like Windows Movie Maker to capture, not the software you're trying to use.

I thought that if the cam would only record at 160x120 then no matter what cord I used to get it to my pc it would stay 160x120?

Blog Entries

Are you recording to tape or a memory card? Not sure if your cam records to both like my Sony, but tape is uncompressed AVI at full res.

EDIT - is it this camera?

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...2&archive=true

Yes, that is the camera. I'm recording to a tape but it also has a memory card that if I understand right can store the still pics it takes and short email clips. I did notice that it has a feature to make video clips that you can email and they are 160x120. I'm wondering if somehow the cam is set up on that and this is a reason I can only copy the vid to my pc at that res only. Maybe it is set to that feature somehow. But I looked throught the manual and on the cam and couldn't find if there is a way to turn that feature off or anything. When I connect the cam directly to my TV it the quality is perfect and that is all I want on my pc. I tried using movie maker but it says the same quality 160x120 and when I try to change the quality higher it keeps giving me an error. I am going to try to reinstall movie maker and see if someone here has a firewire so I can try those out tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the help.

Blog Entries

You'll probably find there's a couple of positions for the record button, one for record to card, the other to tape. Have a look in the manual.

Yes, there is a switch on the side that allows me to switch between video/memory. There is also a setting that will allow me to save the email vid clips and still pics to the card but thats it. I am recording to the tape but I just can't get better than the 160x120 res when transfered to my pc.

I hooked up with firewire and it captured at 680x480. So problems solved thanks!

Blog Entries

Excellent.