Thread: Quality of captured video using Premier Pro

Default Quality of captured video using Premier Pro

Please help. I use a Panasonic GS55 camera. When I play directly from the camera to TV the quality is excellent. I then capture to Premier using the DV/IEEE1394. My problem is that there is a clear loss of quality from the original to the captured video. I finished the project and then wrote to DVD. The quality is still not good enough. Is it the camera (fine when playing to TV), my computer (1gig ram etc. should have zero problems) or the settings in Premier Pro. I use the standard settings.

Please help!!!

Could be any number of things...

Question regarding quality are very common. I suggest you have trawl through the forum at other questions on the same area.

Of course they're often hard to spot because loads of poeple just put thread titles of "Help" or "Premier Problem".

There's loads of discussion on quality and reasons for lack of it. Have a read.

Did you view your final DVD in the PC or in a set-top box?

I view the video on my PC. I havn't checked on a set top yet. Will there be a difference?

There certainly will. The key word in question is 'Interlacing'.

The final result is wll be interlaced and designed for a TV screen. viewing an interlaced signal on a PC monitor which does a full scan will not look as good. I fell for this myself. it was only in desperation I decided to look at my result on a TV where all was well and then reading up on the subject I found out the 'why'.

Someone, in a fairly recent post, gave an excellent link to explain all this.

I played the DVD on TV and the quality is still bad. I then played the original from the DV Casette directly from the camera using SVideo and the quality is excellent. The quality for the original is at least twice as good as the DVD.

I tried to change some capture settings. Because the video is short (15 min) I increased the Bit Rate to 9.0. The quality is still bad. The quality of the original AVI file is also bad, so it must be the capture process. I have absolutely no idea what is srong!

Please help!!

:cry:

Blog Entries

1) When you say you "changed the capture settings", do you mean you changed the encoding settings?

2) When you say "bad quality" are you able to qualify this? Is it fuzzy/pixelated/stuttery/washed out/grainy/has horizontal lines etc etc. If you can, post a screen shot.

3) Have you tried outputting as progressive (de-interlaced) as Millsy suggested? www.100fps.com

4) The capture process should be lossless. Have you defragmented your harddrive?