Thread: It's not too late !

Default It's not too late !

In a week or 10 days I am going out to buy my new computer.
    Bellow I s what I have come up with so far.
    I would appreciate any and all input.
    What does not look right to you ?
    Is the power supply a bit too much ?
    Processor : Intel Core™2 Duo Processor E6400 2.13GHz w/ 2MB Cache 1 $279.95
    Motherboards : Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 w/ DualDDR2 800, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, SATA II, 1394, PCI-E x16 1 $279.95
    Memory : Kingston HyperX 1GB PC2-6400 Dual Channel DDR2 Kit (2 x 512MB) 1 $214.95
    Case : Thermaltake VA3000SNA Tsunami Dream Tower, Silver 1 $119.95
    Power Supplies : Enermax 600W EG701AX-VE SFMA Noisetaker II Power Supply 1 $154.95
    Hard Drives 1 : Maxtor 300GB DiamondMax 10 7200RPM ATA133 w/ 16MB Cache (RoHS) 1 $114.95
    Hard Drives 2 : Maxtor 300GB DiamondMax 10 7200RPM ATA133 w/ 16MB Cache (RoHS) 1 $114.95
    Optical Drive 1 : Samsung SH-S182M Lightscribe 18x18 Dual Layer DVD+/-RW, Black 1 $44.95
    Video Cards : eVGA e-GeForce 7950 GT 512MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out $359.95
    Monitors : LG Flatron L203WTX 20in Widescreen LCD w/ DVI, 8ms, 1400:1 Contrast, Silver-Black $339.95
    Sound Cards : Onboard 8-Channel 7.1 Audio 1 $0.00
    Ethernet Cards : Onboard 100/1000 Gigabit Lan 1 $0.00
    Keyboards : Logitech Media Keyboard Elite 1 $34.95
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional (OEM) 1 $159.95
    Software 1 : McAfee VirusScan 2006 Ver 10.0 (OEM) 1 $8.99

Some items have been removed
    Thanks for sharing your opinions.
    Last edited by whatever_works; 11-03-2006 at 10:10 AM.

Blog Entries

I am not an expert but that looks great.

My psersonal expirience is that a western dig raptor 10000rpm drive for the system disc speeds things up but they are samll and expensive.

You dont really need all that g card power for most editing apps but I presume you play games.

Monitor looks ace but if you really get into editing a second one can be handy.

Default Thanks for your posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I am not an expert but that looks great.

My psersonal expirience is that a western dig raptor 10000rpm drive for the system disc speeds things up but they are samll and expensive.

You dont really need all that g card power for most editing apps but I presume you play games.

Monitor looks ace but if you really get into editing a second one can be handy.
    Thanks again Mark And sorry everyone for the double post.
    Was having a little trouble with the connection during while edditing the post.

I covet that raptor hard drive, I will look at it if I can keep this thing on budget.
    For the time being this CRT monitor, which is a high quality trinitron design will have to suffice for a second monitor, my other smaller crt monitors are just there to fill space in my house lol lol.

I know the Graphics card is excessive, yes I play games. Doesn't everyone? Some people go on about lives not being complete without jesus, their mistaken what you really need is Half-Life2

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    First thoughts....

1) You'll need another hard drive. For video we typically have the OS and s/w on one drive (say around 60Gb) and keep a big drive 300Gb+ for video.
    Again Alan I apologize for the double post, you seem to have caught the unedited version. You can see in this thread there are 2 Hard Drives 2 : Maxtor 300GB DiamondMax 10 7200RPM . I was innitially going to go for a smaler main drive, a friend pointed out that their quite inexpensive and the price difference is negligable, so a matching pair it is. This will leave me open to opt for a Raid 0 config later if I choose.

2) You don't need to spend $350 on a graphics card for editting video. If it's going to sub as a game machine then maybe.
    3) I've no idea what a 'Gaming-Grade' optical mouse is. I suspect it's OTT for video editting.
    Again I have been caught sneeking in games between edits please refer to above post.
    4) 1Gb RAM (of whatever sort) is the min you should consider for video editting. 2Gb+ is better and you'll see the difference.
    I have recieved conflicting opinions on this. So for openers I am going to stay with 1 gig to start. It will help me stay on budget. It is a simple task to add more later.
    5) You made no mention here of s/w. Good editting s/w does come at a price (often as mujch as the rig itself) so be careful to budget for it also.
    Again this is a budget issue. I have pinacle left over from my first edit experience. And to stay on budget I will will start out with that. However, I am not even going to upgrade from pinacle 8, and if disapoints me I will try some of the free ware and sonsider purchasing some real s/w.

Thanks again for your posts
    Rick

Whats wrong with the 512 7900gtx?
    Defo.... 2gig or above, ........................... even for game play.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Blog Entries

About the ram advice... that may have been me railing against advice insisting 8 gig was needed, that was complete twaddle and I was pointing out 1 was fine, I think two would be better however.

Default Hope this mess works

Well I've gone and done it now.
    Hope this stuff will work, I pick it up on Monday.

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-965P-DDQ6
    Proc - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    Mem - 2 Gig Kingston 667 MHz
    Graph - eVGA e-GeForce 7950GT KO 512MB SC
    DVD - Samsung SH-S162L 16x16
    Drives - Western Digital 74GB 10k RPM Sata
    - Seagate 320GB 7200 RPM SataII
    PSU - Enermax 600W Noisetaker II
    Case - Antec P180 aluminum
    OS - XP-pro
    +++ - Assorted sundry