Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning noise-grain by Neat Video plugin via Virtual Dub

Smile Cleaning noise-grain by Neat Video plugin via Virtual Dub

Hello everyone.
    My goal is to clean noise-grain defect from video that was filmed in dark location.
    I have decided to achieve that through Neat Video plugin, for Virtual Dub.
    I can apply noise-cleaning filter in Virtual Dub without problems, but when it comes to save the video clip and issue arises.
    I grab video clips via regular firewire using a Digital SONY DCR-340E PAL handycam, which mean clips I come with to Virtual Dub are simple DV 720 x 576 Pal clips. Unfortunately Virtual Dub doesn’t have the same DV codec to compress back my video clips to their original quality with noise cleaning filter applied. What codec could I download and install in order to have my clips compressed to their original DV quality?
    Reason for doing that is the later import of those clips into my video-editing program. If those clips will be compressed with a codec other than the original DV, and I will do my video editing, than produce movie by compressing again, the result will be quite bad. It will be a double compression. I hope my question is clear: what codec should I install to keep the absolutely original quality of my DV clips after noise filtering?
    Thanks anyone who can help me.
    Regards.
    The beat never fades!

You could try HUFFYuv 2.1 I think is the latest version, this is a lossless codec and works great in Vdub.

The files will be huge but smaller than uncompressed.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Blog Entries

Yes huff works great but if you want a dv codec there is a free one on the panasonic website, have a google.

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel View Post
    You could try HUFFYuv 2.1 I think is the latest version, this is a lossless codec and works great in Vdub.

The files will be huge but smaller than uncompressed.
    Will not the file size be the same or at least close to original? That's what the descpription says:
    "Lossless" means that the output from the decompressor is bit-for-bit identical with the original input to the compressor.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by az0000000; 11-03-2006 at 11:25 AM.
    The beat never fades!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Yes huff works great but if you want a dv codec there is a free one on the panasonic website, have a google.
    And using that codec i am going to keep the original DV quality of my videoclips?
    Thanks.
    The beat never fades!

Blog Entries

Yes, however with th dv codec there is a limit to how many passes you can make befor the recompression spoils the quality - I would say the less the better but certainly not over 5.

The advatage of huff is that like uncompressed video there is no generation loss.

Yes, however with th dv codec there is a limit to how many passes you can make befor the recompression spoils the quality - I would say the less the better but certainly not over 5.
    You mean that could do all this filter appiying for about 5 tyimes, without loosing original DV quality of my clips?

The advatage of huff is that like uncompressed video there is no generation loss.
    Still, i am quite qurious how many times biger than the original file will teh result be, cuase i am really interested in this codec, do you have an idea?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by az0000000; 11-03-2006 at 05:34 PM.
    The beat never fades!

Try it and find out, it's free and if you keep asking questions instead of doing it, you will learn less and never get it done.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Blog Entries

Ditto the above, huff is a tiny d load and reagrding quality loss - well what is acceptable and works for you is okay.

Also - you might find that the noise filter creates more problems than it saves. I fond it creates large areas of featureless colour that can be equally distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel View Post
    Try it and find out, it's free and if you keep asking questions instead of doing it, you will learn less and never get it done.
    Well, that's correct also
    The beat never fades!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast