Thread: Video in text question

Default Video in text question

Hello everyone, I just recently bought a new camera (Sony HDR-SR1E) and I'm looking to shoot myself a tiny movie for school, an urban legend.

The thing is, for the title, I'd like to have a flaming text effect, so I was wondering if it is possible to put the flames inside my text with either Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0, Adobe After Effects 7.0 or Sony Vegas 6.0d. Or if there is an easy effect that can do this, that would also work .

I don't know Vegas so can't offer an opinion but you can do this with a bnit of keying in Premiere Pro.
    Have a text layer which is just black and white on top of a 'flame' layer. Apply a Luma key to the text so that the flames on the footage below through.

That's the quick and dirty route that might just about get the job done. For a much better and more controlled version use After Effects to mask around the words. Easy enough but no time to go into specifics in a forum post.

Scout around and you may find a tutorial on it.

But then the background needs to be white doesn't it? I've done what you said, but then I have the seethrough text but on a white background. I'd like to have that on a black background since that looks much nicer (as a movie title).

all from memory but if you start with white text on black are there not option in the luma key to get what you want? possibly a 'reverse' option if the black/white are the opposite of expected.

Nope, onyl Threshold(0-100%) and Cutoff (0-100%)

Alan is spot on, but to get it to work you must have the text and black background within the same layer.

So go in to the titler and first create a black square at full screen size and then type your white text on top, add the title to layer 2 with whatever underneath and apply the luma key to the title, Regel is also write, by default the luma key picks black but if you drag the cutoff slider up to 100% it will choose the white.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

W00t, I found it now, thnx. However, it wasn't cutoff but threshold that needed to be dragged to 0% .