Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VHS to Mini DV via MV750i

Default VHS to Mini DV via MV750i

Hello,

I have a mini dv camcorder (MV750i) and a vhs tape recorder (Sony SLV-F900 UX). I am trying to record from my vhs recorder onto my mini dv cam.

I have been following the instructions in the instruction manual (page 81) but can't get the camcorder to receive an image on the camcorder screen.

I am connecting the camcorder to the vhs player using the STV-250N stereo video cable provided via a scart adapter similiar to the PC-A10 Scart adapter but which has a switch to allow input and output. (i believe the PC-A10 Scart Adapter is output only)

Under the vcr setup on the camcorder menu, i have selected av*dv out = on and then pressed rec pause button. if i then press play the top right hand of the screen states REC which it good.

However, the camcorder screen is blue and i think that it should be showing the images that are playing on the vhs player.

Have you any suggestions please as I have tried everything that I can think of and I need to transfer some vhs video to mini dv?

Regards
    Neil

Try av*dv out = off or av*dv in = on and see what happens.

Sorry, let me correct that last post. DV in and DV out only works using a Firewire cable and no other cable setup, so your STV-250N stereo video cable won't allow you to do that. Instead use your Mini DV camcorder as a pass through device. What I mean is, connect up with the stereo cable as you have been doing and connect the camcorder up to your computer using a Firewire cable and capture that way. The pictures and sound from the VCR go into the camcorder, pass through it and out the Firewire cable and into the computer.

Default VHS to Mini DV via MV750i

Neil, did you get this to work?

If so did u need to buy any extra cables for the 750i I have the firewire cable?

Thanks Colm

Yes I managed to get it to work thx.

I did not need to buy a new cable as the STV-250N did the job but I did need to get a new scart adapter that had a switch with input and output.

Works fine now although I have not tried it using the cam as a pass through. I record from the VHS to mini dv and then record onto my pc from mini dv via the firewire cable. FYI... I use adobe premier pro to copy onto the pc.

Regards
    Neil

Why are you recording from VHS onto Mini DV and then from Mini DV onto the computer?

Because thats the way i managed to get it to work.

It should be possible to record direct from vhs to PC using the cam as a pass through but i dont know how.

However, I now do know how to tape from vhs to mini dv and I already knew how to transfer from mini dv to pc and then dvd..

It adds a few steps but at least it works...

I am all ears if you can enlighten on EXACTLY how to get the cam working as a pass through?????

Regards

Default Canovision 8mm to PC via a MV750i

Have connected 8mmto 750i using AV socket and have connected 750 i to pc via firewire.
    Can see the picture in Adobe PP2 but cant 'invoke' the capture.

Any suugestions please.

The av-dv is set to in on 750i and the camera is swithed to vcr

I have an earlier version of Canon's 750i, andpass through is not available. I don't think the later versions have it either, You have to do what Neil has done, record to DV tape in the camcorder, using 'play' 'record pause' etc, and then, upload to to PC the usual way via firewire.

Gillian
    Win XP, Athlon 1.8, G force 3 T, 1 60gig drive + 1 250 gig, Pinnacle Studio 9 plus mostly, Premiere 6, and Vegas 5 sometimes, Soundforge, Cool Edit.

Gillian,
    Thanks for response.

I got it to work as follows:

[DV means 750i
    AV means Canovision 8]

Connect DV to PC with firewire

Connect AV to DV through 'AV yellow' input socket.

Put blank tape in DV

Turn DV to play/vcr mode

Put tape u need to in AV

Set AV->DV to on in vcr menu of DV

Open LCD panel on DV
    Press Rec/Pause butoon on panel inside LCD screen.

Press play on vcr controls of DV

click tape button in capture screen in Adobe PP2

Press play on AV.

This works and in fact once the DV tape gets to the end, if the AV tape is not finished it keeps going onto PC, but i dont yet know what time code is used once the EOT appears on DV. [My largest file thus far is 22GB, disk capacity issue.]

Once I discovered that the capture keeps going depite the DV tape stopping I just rewind the DV tape by a few seconds for each new AV tape.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast