Thread: Help!

Smile Help!

Hi

I need to know if my PC is OK to edit with or if it needs upgrading and what I need to do/buy etc, and whether my system can cope. Also want to hook up a tv monitor to it but don't know how.

I will be using mainly Avid xpress pro and will store my rushes on a Lacie. Here are my PC specs:

Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    System Type: X86-based PC
    System Model: Dell Dimension 5100
    Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz
    Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date: Dell Inc. A01, 25/05/2005

Total Physical Memory: 1,024.00 MB

Total Virtual Memory : 2.00 GB

Adapter Type: RADEON X300 SE (0x5B60), ATI Technologies Inc.

Adapter Description: RADEON X300 SE 128MB HyperMemory
    Adapter RAM: 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)

Also want to hook up a tv monitor to it but don't know how.

Thankyou in advance and I REALLY hope you can help me as I am video journalist and need to be ready to work from home in about a week.

Cheers

Blog Entries

That looks fine for editing video. I believe the radeon card has a tv out, just plug and play.

Thanks so much for the swift response glad i don't have to buy a new PC! If I were to upgrade my system to make it better for editing what would you recommend?

Blog Entries

I would suggest a second large internal drive for storage of video. The lacie might be a be a bit slow to edit from, it will work but it might mean that things get bit 'clunky' on the timeline. External drives that are f wire are likely to perform better than usb in my expirience but an internal drive would be best.

Hi thanks for your response, I have one more query, is my system already capable of rendering effects quickly? if not what do I need to do to make it more faster at rendering?

Unfortunalty, Dell build budget systems and they do fall for performance issues.

If you wanted to render faster, You would require a upgrade on the motherboard, RAM, Hard drives, and power suply unit. You may well consider a dual core processor to go with the new kit.
    Need Pro Computer advice?

hi thanks for the response if i bought anew kit what is te cheapest one that you could recommend? and if I were to upgrade my current system what could I do?

Blog Entries

The PC you have is fine for editing. Sure a faster pc will render faster and may run more smoothly when lots of effects are used, and render faster, but nothing else will change.

I have just gone from a pc simlilar to yours to a fast core duo, it is very nie and quick but cost me loads and doesnt really do anythiing that the old pc did... it just does it faster.

Be wary of upgreditis, if you have the cash, go for it, otherwise try what you have for a bit longer first.

Hi Vader can u pls explain me how to use the avid video editing software? I have avide express, I am familier with pinnacle, and tell to use this software what are the requirement. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vader View Post
    Hi thanks for your response, I have one more query, is my system already capable of rendering effects quickly? if not what do I need to do to make it more faster at rendering?
    Avid prefers nVidia. The CPU and RAM is OK (although faster and more would be cool), but you might want to change the entry-level Radeon for a higher specced nVidia card.