Thread: The camera doesn't lie...

Blog Entries

Default The camera doesn't lie...

I'm a fan of the "Dove" adverts because they show "real" people. Here's something I got sent, I hope it makes you think...

Thats SO TRUE.

You know, when I am photographing weddings, some people ask if they can have their photos, 'like in the magazines' or 'can you make me look slimmer'

If they want to pay the extra, then sure go ahead! if they want to stand about when I have to do retakes, then sure; it will reck the day, but if thats what you want....
    They get 'pro' makeup which isnt pro and looks really bad on film (which I sometimes have to retouch its that bad)
    I dont get any credit for it either thats the anoying bit. Ive made building disapear and they dont even notice..

Your statement is true, the cameras not lying, its the makeup artist, lighting crew, and the image editors that are lying.
    Need Pro Computer advice?

Jeez I knew they could do wonders but..................... I'm gobsmacked.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    I'm a fan of the "Dove" adverts because they show "real" people. Here's something I got sent, I hope it makes you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK1NbGRACls
    Yep, made me stop and think

I dont get any credit for it either thats the anoying bit. Ive made building disapear and they dont even notice..
    We'd all want to look like "a million dollars" on what'll be the single most important (and expensive) day of the bride's life. Added to this the fact that EVERYONE gives their attention to the bride, and it's entirely understandable that the bride wants to look her very best. If the professionals can help her live that dream, then they've earned their money.

Blog Entries

Amazing what a bit of 'slap' can do. I'm not a fan of gossip mags at all, but Jude showed me one of hers a week or two ago with pics of celebs un made up and honestly.... you wouldn't give most of them a second glance. Rough as ar_eholes, most of them.

Blog Entries

IN my opinion the camera always lies. A camera is a subjective window on the world controlled by a person with a wish to present a particular point of view.

Even the presence of a camera changes the world in front of it. It and the person who caontrols is are unseen participants in the pictures or video it he /she captures. I think that accepting this and then using this power wisely is what marks out a great camera person from a merely technically gifted one.

Quote Originally Posted by Turn Media View Post
    Amazing what a bit of 'slap' can do. I'm not a fan of gossip mags at all, but Jude showed me one of hers a week or two ago with pics of celebs un made up and honestly.... you wouldn't give most of them a second glance. Rough as ar_eholes, most of them.
    I Know a few celebs, Its quite funny what people actually think or are lead to think, if you had some of the celeb walking next to you, you wouldnt nessasarly know who they are. they always look different Ruff as A H is a good discription.

Once at band camp... No Scrub that.. I bumped in to Ross kemp in milton keynes, and some girls were harasing him, the lines used were, Phil is much taller than that, look at this guy hes much older. the girls soon left not able to recognise him.

Mind you dane bower looks like he does on TV as real life. Hes a right AH, even his employees thinks so, we were taking the piss out of him for a hour or three. Still dont like the bloke.

here's a photo of me from GQ mag, http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorywu...cf.jpg&.src=ph

Hell I dont look much like that.. beer belly now, My GF at the time said 'why dont you look like that all the time' cheeky byatch
    Need Pro Computer advice?

Blog Entries

A true story...

Many years ago (28 to be exact) I was sitting in a restaurant with a guy I'd spent all day working with. I was a stills photographer at Pinewood at the time. We'd been taking publicity shots and he'd invited me to a friend's restaurant which was always full of famous people. Obviously when you're working full time with them, you tend to get a bit blasť and, as a young man, I was more interested in the grub.
    A couple of girls wandered over and asked for my autograph, completely ignoring my dinner partner (which I found a bit rude).

They'd obviously mistaken me for someone else but, eager to please I scribbled my name in their autograph book and watched them walk of, trying to read it and coming to the conclusion that maybe I wasn't the guy from T-Rex after all.

Opposite me, Roger Moore looked up and said "Well, that's the first time that's happened to me!"

But my favourite true anecdote from that period (which I've since heard other people lay claim to... lying bastards).

I was at a party, talking to a rock singer, when a girl came up, interrupted in the arrogant way that only beautful women can, and demanded.
    "So which one's Bowie then?"
    To which my companion replied... "I am".

I don't know how often I've heard members of the pubic say "He's a lot shorter than he looks on the screen" or "He looks a lot older in real life".

That's not the problem... The problem is that young people are being brainwashed into thinking that they have to be perfect. They have to be thin (not slim... thin) or that they have to be surgically improved. Yet the perfection they seek isn't humanly possible, only able to be realised in a two dimensional medium, such as television, film or photography.

Edit: A bit of advice GTWCMT, never slag down celebrities in print, for all you know I might be a friend of Ross or Dane and making enemies is something you don't do want to do, if you want to keep working. Hell hath no fury like a starlett scorned.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 10-27-2006 at 10:34 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GTWCMT View Post

That's a seriously gay look.... are you sure it was a girlfriend that said that?

Blog Entries

Talking

Hey, look at this sexy guy....

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/images/temp/gtgay.jpg

Hey, GT, you get around for sure....