Thread: Need Canon XL2 quality at a fraction of the price - suggestions?

Question Need Canon XL2 quality at a fraction of the price - suggestions?

I am used to the quality of shooting on a Canon XL2 but unfortunately financially Im not in a situation to buy one. Therefore Im looking for quite a cheap yet high spec camera which delivers excellent picture quailty and great functionality.

Maybe Im asking the impossible but in a nutshell I need professional picture quality at a very reasonable price; not some tardy home movie quaility.

Finally, stupid question. Im presently living and working in Asia but hope to return home to the UK with my camera and work with it. Therefore must I solely buy a PAL camera or do cameras generally do dual these days?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by luiigii; 10-24-2006 at 02:17 PM.

TDA-Digital Guest

Quote Originally Posted by luiigii View Post
    Finally, stupid question. Im presently living and working in Asia but hope to return home to the UK with my camera and work with it. Therefore must I solely buy a PAL camera or do cameras generally do dual these days?

I think this is your biggest and most serious concern, that personally, I don't think you can avoid (I reside in Asia also, but from North America). The industry has become very regionally standardized, so I feel you're going to have to chose one or the other.

I'd be interested in learning of other posters feelings on this issue.

Sorry not much,
    TA

Blog Entries

'tardy home movie quality' is actually very close to xl2 type standards in my view.

Half decent comsumer camcorders really are very good now. The difference is small and irrelevant to most consumers of finished program in most circumstances.

What you shoot, and how well you shoot it is far more important than what you shoot it on I would suggest.

For example - Bamboozled, spike lee, shot on a vx1000
    28 days later - shot on a canon XL and screened in cinemas.
    Blair witch - lots shot on hi8

Panasonic nv gs400 (if you can get 1), nv gs500, sony hdr hc1, canon xm2 there will be others but I know that these are all capable of giving excellent results.

As for the pal/ntsc question, nearly all PAL equipment will play back NTSC and a PC doesn't care which it gets.

Slowly more and more NTSC stuff is being made with PAL playback capabilities, so have a look around at what you can get for playing your video on.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production