Thread: High-Def Editing - Computer Advice Please

Default High-Def Editing - Computer Advice Please

Hi Everyone

I just picked up an AMD unfortunately.

AMD 64 x2 5000+
    2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
    320GB hard-drive
    DVD Burner with Lightscribe

I bought it from Best Buy for $999.00 Canadian + Tax which worked out to $1140 Canadian. I can return it within 2 weeks I believe and I will if I can find a Core 2 Duo at or around the same range give or take.

Someone told me that I could find a system that was a core 2 duo e6700 at around the same price, and it would KILL my AMD system in video editing. Is this true? I will be using it to capture and edit my high definition home movies that I shot with my Sony HDR-HC3 camcorder which uses MiniDV.

If it is, I am completely new to building a system and would love it if someone could help me build one online since I have not much knowlege when it comes to PC technical details! I found a link where you can build one yourself with the various options they give you.

I also wrote a list out below to show you some of the preferences that I would like, as well as the things that I don't know about and need help with as I have never built a computer before.

I would like to have a computer that will far outperform the AMD x2 5000+ I got today, and hopefully do great video editing in HD if I shy away from the Apple. Really hoping to keep to budget now.

The link to the site can be found HERE and the list of my preferences are below.

P.S. If anyone knows of a cheaper site or a reputable dealer with options you can hopefully help me pick out I would be extremely greatful!!!

• Case: Not Sure Which One to Choose
    • CPU: Core 2 Duo E6700
    • HSF: ???
    • Motherboard: Would like one that I can change video card when the DirectX10 comes out, as well as add memory. Not sure which one to choose.
    • RAM: 2GB DDR2 (Or whatever is recommended for high definition video editing...and hopefully I'd like to add more in the future)
    • Hard Drive: 2 Drives as recommended for video editing. Not sure which ones are good nor do I know what 2 sizes you recommend.
    • Floppy: Cheapest or none
    • Video Card: Good GeForce card (or whatever you recommend) that will work good for HD video editing until DirectX10 comes out and I buy a new one.
    • Modem: None
    • Rom Drive: Don't think I need one?
    • [b]Sound Card:[b] On Board is Fine
    • Network Card: Whatever is recommended. Don't need wireless or bluetooth.
    • Keyboard: Standard
    • Monitor: None
    • OS: WinXP ((Not sure if I have to buy it with CPU tho))
    • Speakers: None
    • Mouse: None
    • CD-RW: Would like a DVD-RW with light scribe which will write to CDs too. Something good for the average guy.
    • Printer: None
    • Power Supply: None if one comes with case you recommend.
    • Cooling: Whatever you recommend
    • Accessories: None
    • TV Turners: None

Thank you so much!!

Blog Entries

I am not a teccy expert, just an end user, and I have just purchased a new pc, core duo as it happens.

I was looking at bench marks to compare speeds and I dont think the advice you have recieved is that good.

The core duo might have the edge sure but only by a small margin. I would say that in general use the amd will perform similarly to the sore duo, they are both very very fast and will be fine for hd editing.

I would defintiely advise a second drive for system only, not for video use. That should be the fastest you can afford, I have a raptor 10000 rpm and it is defintiely more responsive.

I would think 2 gig ram is plenty.

You most definitely do not need any sort of solid state ram drive, they dont really b mark that much better in real world sitiuations and are tiny and expensive.

Editing doesnt really need a fast g card either, mine is a very cheap dx9 card.

Spending huge amounts of the fastest pc can be fun but withinin 6 months it is just ordinary anyway and all it really saves is a bit of time of rendering. There isnt much difference between a fast but sensibly priced pc and the fastest you can reasnobly buy.

Editing / filming skill far outstrip minor concerns over pc spec in my view when it comes to quality film making. Some of my best wk was done on a xp1700 (not hdv!) and the only 'problems' were much longer render times and sluggish preview when using lots of effects - it never stopped me making stuff. Having said that a modern fast pc, like the one you have, makes editing smooth...

In the medium term any more pc money I spend is likely to go on more secure storgage, like a raid box maybe - safety of your work is very important too.

check out www.hardwareanalyst.com where you will find lots of advice and will recieve the best prices and locations to buy the hardware/computers to build.

As you are building a tower only, your budget may fit the bill.

I will reply to your email as a email, for some reason I cannot access the site from my desktop system..
    Need Pro Computer advice?

Unfortunately there are too many PC techies who spend their whole life running benchmark programs whilst touching themselves and get far too excited about numbers on a screen.

To get a system that will far outperform a AMD 5000 you are gonna have to wait some time yet. Real world performance is what you are looking for not benchmark figures. You could go out and buy a dual xeon supermicro with all the bollox, but it would cost 4 times as much or more and you would not get four times the performance and it would be out of date just as quick as a top spec PC, which is what you have.

If you wish to change, then fair enough but either way you will end up with a top PC.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel View Post
    Unfortunately there are too many PC techies who spend their whole life running benchmark programs whilst touching themselves and get far too excited about numbers on a screen.
    Haha, well said indeed.

Def not a techy but I still use my trusty old P4 3GHz and even when I only had 1Gb of RAM I could comfortably edit HDV in real time most of the time. Load it up with effects and it slows of course.

The trick with HDV I found is to edit with the right s/w. Yeah, you could spend a fortune on a real time graphics card for HD editing but I found a s/w solution that gives me real time editting most of the time.

In short, your specs are fine for HDV. But get some more disk space. You WILL need it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel View Post

To get a system that will far outperform a AMD 5000 you are gonna have to wait some time yet. Real world performance is what you are looking for not benchmark figures. You could go out and buy a dual xeon supermicro with all the bollox, but it would cost 4 times as much or more and you would not get four times the performance and it would be out of date just as quick as a top spec PC, which is what you have.

If you wish to change, then fair enough but either way you will end up with a top PC.
    Couldn't agree more.

Don't want to start a new thread, so here it goes:

It's time for me to go the HDV way now. I've got the Sony HC1 on the way and should get the heck out of it. Unfortunately, I don't like the thought that my 2 year old PC will hardly keep up with HDV editing. So it's an Athlon64 3000+ (1,8 GHz, FSB 1000 MHz, HT, socket 939), 1 GB DDR400 (2 x 512 MB), MSI Geforce4 MX 4000 (64 MB DDRAM, AGP 8x, DirectX 9.0), Pinnacle Studio AV/DV, Asus DVDRW (new), Seagate Barracuda 250 GB (system drive), WD Caviar JB 80 GB (data drive). I'd like to keep the hard drives and the motherboard (Asus A8V), but I'll prabably have to upgrade the CPU and the graphics card. I'm not sure if that motherboard supports AthlonFX processors faster the 4000+ so that should probably be the limit, as for the graphics card, AGP 8x is the only way for me. What components do you recommend and how do you estimate the costs (taking into account that the holiday season will leave me broke)?

Blog Entries

I tried editing some raw hdv using vegas on my xp3000, it was okay, like editng sd on my old xp1700 and I used that for 18 months with no worries. Doing anything fancy like pip or using just about any effects caused the preview even in draft mode to drop to a very low frame rate.

Upgrading to a 4000 is only going to give you a marginal increase in power really - I wonder if it might not be better to save up for a new m board and dual core processor? I think that is what is really needed for hdv editing and especially rendering.

I am not sure what editor you are using but for most the g card is of little importance.

I hardly ever use PIP or fancy effects. I like it simple.
    I was thinking about getting Ulead Media Studio 8, because Avid is just too difficult for me and Premiere would be too expensive, and I know that Ulead can handle HDV, I've tried it out and it has enough horse power. Would you recommend Vegas over Ulead?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast