Thread: MPEG import problem with pro v2

Default MPEG import problem with pro v2

I have a bit of a situation here:

I recently purchased a Sony Handycam with a 30Gig HDD... the camera encodes video to MPEG files...

I tried loading these MPEG files into Premiere Pro 2, but it gives me the following error message. "Unsupported format or damaged file"

Now these MPEG files play fine in Windows Media Player, and load just fine into Vegas. Although, when I try importing them into Windows Movie Maker, it only picks up the file as audio, and doesnt even show that it has any video components to it.

So I try importing them into Premiere Pro v1, and they import just fine, except, when you load it onto the timeline, there are several parts where the video gets jittery, and the audio isnt synced up right with the video... I tried to exporting it to see if that problem was really there... and they show up in the exported AVI as well...

Is there anyone that can help me with this issue? Please!!!

2. Default

Mpeg is not an editing format. Even if an editing app takes the files it will be a real pain in the ___ to use them. Do yourself a favor and convert them first into an uncompressed AVI format. Best to use is DV-AVI. A program called virtualdub can do this and it's free. Do a search on this forum for virtualdub and you will find help.

I tried opening the MPEG files with VirtualDub already... but they wont even open with that program either... I don't know what the problem is!...

Please help.

Try virtualdub mpeg2 version.

did you get any software with the camera for conversion or editing?

Why not edit with vegas?
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

No software for conversion OR editing.. and I have not tried virtualdub mpeg2 version...

I dont have any experience using Vegas and would have to learn it completely... I might give it a try though, we shall see.

Just 1 more thing you could try in premiere is to replace the ImporterMpeg.prm in 2.0 with the 1 from 1.0.

If you go into "program files\adobe\premiere pro\plugins" and find the ImporterMpeg.prm and copy it and then go to "program files\adobe\premiere pro 2.0\plugins\en_us" and find the same file in there, rename it to "ImporterMpeg.prm.old" and then paste the other in to replace it.

This might work it might not, if it doesn't just delete it and rename "ImporterMpeg.prm.old" and delete the .old and everything will be back as it was. Don't worry about the jittery timeline, this is most likely because premiere doesn't like Mpeg for editing and you can probably stop it by rendering the timeline but add the effects and edits first or you will be rendering over and over again.

The thing I found with vegas is that you need keep the effects window open and dock it in to the interface, this window acts as a keyframer for your effects and if you want to split your clips that is hidden in the menus too, but there is a keyboard shortcut.

I'm sure you can get lots of help with vegas in the vegas section, there are a lot good guys here that use it and love it who will be able to help you along.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel View Post
    Try virtualdub mpeg2 version.

did you get any software with the camera for conversion or editing?

Why not edit with vegas?
    This thread desribes exactly the same problem I've been having with Permiere Pro 2 as well. I haven't tried the Vdub option yet, but will as soon as I get home. I am interested now though, is Vegas a better application for video editing? Is it easier to use? I haven't learnt how to use Premiere yet anyway.