Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What cam?

Post What cam?

As a wedding photographer (stills) Image is everything with out exseption!

I am thinking of making a move towards wedding videography as I think that many parts of a wedding is limited by photography.
    I have been asked to also shoot a programme in the future, so the quality is paramount.

I am thinking of diving into HD but as I dont really have a clue about video cameras I think that the best place is to start here.

I'm not to sure on the budget I have so we will start backwards as see what is offering the best bang for my buck, as HDV is changing it may cost alot now and be pritty much worthless in a few months. so that will take the edge off the investment return.

So lets go from around 3000 down to 1200 as a budget I may go higher for the right camera but I will be trying to keep it as low as I can as there will be more kit that I will need. I am proberly looking at a total spend of 5K which will include sound recording equip and some lighting, batteries and the usuals.

Im not to sure on the lens with camcorders as they may be different to stills cameras in my case I will be looking at somethings with a 35 - 250/350mm range. But for the right camera we will have to see.

Im willing to use the a manual funtion as I pick things up real quick, but semi Auto could be just as fine.

I will up date as I am currently shopping looking some camera...
    Need Pro Computer advice?

Blog Entries

Whatever you choose to buy, you'll need two of them...

Yeah I was thinking that, I have a mini cam which works quite well, Someone was selling a XL2 for a very good price and I was thinking of buying this, then what ever else I wanted or was suggested. It would be ideal to have two matching cameras, but at the present time most people are using stadard TV's so buying HD isnt a majour priority.

I was looking at some of the JVC cams, Not to sure that I like the look of them, but then going by the look's is just plain stupid.

I noticed that the XL2 has 960 Lines and many of the others are 520 and there are a few 570 line cams on the market, its just that they seem to charge a hell of a lot for lenses, I know I pay a few grand for some but some of the lens that are say 1400 I but for my still camera and they are only 600.

I have been looking around and came up with these parts.

lapel radio mic 340
    Tripod - have from photography
    Lighting 1400
    On cam mic 180
    So im looking at 2500 for a camera. there isn't a lot of cam's for pro users on the market for that price. I quite liked the HD XLE ( XL2 HDV version) But I cannot see how the hell they justify that price for what seams to be a firmware update and no paint job.

Blog Entries

My advice is buy one cheap camera, shoot anything, learn to film well and edit well by playing with stuff you shoot.

Show people, get feedback, post here, get feedback, read books.

Simmer gently and keep at it regularly for about a year - then considor big purchases and wedding work.

You see many people selling stuff cheap cos they dive in thinking it must be easy to make films - it isnt.

I really do advise a long period of learing the skills needed befor diving in.

A film concieved / shot / edited by an expirienced and effective film maker on a 100 quid s/h crap cam will always be better than something made by a poor and inexpirienced film maker with 20 grands worth of gear.

I have some footage from a person who got the expensive cameras and had no expirience that shows this all too well, he sold me his camera cheap with some of the tapes he had shot.

edit

I mean no offence but some of your comments above really do show you are at the bottom of a very long and often steep learning curve that requires grit and determination to climb - and that will take time.
    Last edited by Mark W; 10-21-2006 at 11:17 PM.

Oh I agree, I have hardly had any exsperience at video, I dont mind diving in at a deep end as I have a cheap camera that I currenty use for home use, Howevery I dont really enjoy the quality of the imagery ( poor light issues etc)

So weather I go towards weddings or not is a matter that I will take on over time. I know that quite a few people (out side of work) that are getting married so I will get some time on editing and production.

I have submitted a short in the users video section, it got good feedback, I do have an advantage as being a wedding photographer or just a photographer gives me a better understanding than thay of Joe blogs who's used neither. My upper hand goes into lighting, framing and aspects of the camera set up, (only the ones that cameras (still) have.

My downfall is that I dont know anything about prosumer cameras, I know I will want a 3CCD for lighting reasons, I dont know If I want HDV, or who makes the best cam's. Thats why Im asking

Blog Entries

I cant see your video in the user section, must have missed it. Post a link and I will have look at it and give you some feedback.

www.grafixphoto.co.uk/clkvideo.wmv

I thinks that right,

What you will miss, is the info which was something like. shooting a wedding as the stills photographer, no tripod on many of the shots and no time for video.
    lens flare at the start.

I was thinking of a few cams..
    Sony DSR-PD170P
    Panasonic AG-DVX100B

What your thoughts?

Blog Entries

Your video GMTV - well as a uncle harry amatuer special its okay - as a professional product its a total non starter.

as for camera the pd170 is a great cam for sure, and one I have nearly purchased on a few occasions... bit remember this GMFREE , stills phtography is NOT videogrphy. Stills is not video, its a whole new ball of wax with a whole new set of shills and a whole new dimension - the temporal. Video is much less of an abstraction than a still and as such is aruably a more complex task to master.

To attempt to sell your services now or anytime in the next year would be reckless in my view. I can see you are the err entreprenurial type selling all sorts of things- admirable, but quality must come first - always.

Your photo stuff should give you a good grounding in the basics of composition but you need to read about dynamic composition, cinematography and learn the language of film... it's syntax is much more complex than stills work.

The video you posted is full of huge eroors that newbies always make - listen learn and practice, every week, for a year at least and only then I suggest can you say with any credibility that you can take money for video work.
    Last edited by Mark W; 10-27-2006 at 12:05 AM.

I have loads to learn when it comes to video, I need to get a camera so that I can fully understand its workings and put my stamp on it.
    I wont be doing any pro/sold video services for quite some time until I have a better understanding and become happy enought with the works to sell it.
    I put a lot of time and effort into my businesses and master them.

I dont think that I will be hanging about for a year before I get good, as I dont work for anyone, I benefit from time to put into things; If I get the chance to master from someone else It will be a faster process.
    I have been hunting down info on the net, Im sure that I will find all I need.

My sister is producing a TV show and it will be full of pro's so I may tag along down to london for a few weeks while I learn what its all about.

The video shown, does lack dynamic composition and the composition is way off as most of the shake cam is my Dad who I had working with me on the dad, It was like baby sitting! As you can see, the white flashes as the bride walks down the isle is my elbow, and you can see me with camera in hand on the colour section of the clip.
    The editing wasnt to good, but not to bad for WMM and it was my first time, for a first and being as I had to get some video with out interfearing with my photography work, its not bad. well OK It is quite bad, I see all the faults with it.

Anyway, RU P'd or S'd ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast