Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thailand in 10 days.........PLEASE HELP ME PICK A CAM!!!!

Default Thailand in 10 days.........PLEASE HELP ME PICK A CAM!!!!

As you can tell from the subject header I'm going to Thailand in 10 days and desperately need one to take with me. I'll be doing a tour all over Thailand so will include lots of jungle trecks, seeing beautiful waterfalls as well as staying on sunny islands. So will need a good zoom also.
    I'm looking to spend £300 but could move up to £350 at a push if it was worth it! I don't have any idea on what cam would best suit me for my needs though and was hoping that some of you would be kind enough to give me some cam recommendations. I'm aware of the other threads on the site, and have looked at them but still need that personal advice please as I respect what a lot of you have to say on this forum

I noticed a few popular choices on here; Panasonic: Gs 250, Sony HC44 or HC46, and Canon MVX460, but then after reading through this months Which Camcorder (I think it's called) they highly rate the following:

JVC GR-DF470
    JVC GR-D290
    JVC GR-DF420
    Canon MV880x

Am I right in thinking that a 3CCD cam is also better for me? And are the models mentioned above only 1? I noticed that someone had recommended the Panasonic NVGS180B and Panasonic NV-GS75EB as being a good 3CCD cam. Although there doesn't seem to be much info on the Panasonic NV-GS75EB. Are there others that may be better than these?

Ideally I would like a cam that isn't too big and bulky and something like an anti shake feature would also be of use to me. Lol, a nice 2.7 LCD would be good too, although I wouldn't be too bothered about that!

Hope you guys can help me out as I really am pulling my hair out at the moment!

Many thanks in advance.

Lee

2. Default

they are all in pretty much the same league, if you are looking for good quality i would go for a 3ccd cam like panasonic NVGS180B. in my experience you cant really go wrong with a nice little panasonic.

you say you are going to be doing lots of trecking in jungle? are you going to be camping? if so you will need to have many batteries and tapes if you are wanting to film lots...

Quote Originally Posted by komatoast View Post
    they are all in pretty much the same league, if you are looking for good quality i would go for a 3ccd cam like panasonic NVGS180B. in my experience you cant really go wrong with a nice little panasonic.

you say you are going to be doing lots of trecking in jungle? are you going to be camping? if so you will need to have many batteries and tapes if you are wanting to film lots...
    Thank you for the advice on the Panasonic mate.

I won't be doing any camping in Thailand, it will be hotels or the beach hut style accommodation that they'll have in certain parts. So hopefully I'll be able to charge it up quite regularly

Quote Originally Posted by komatoast View Post

From looking on camcorderinfo.com it says the the panasonic NVGS180B isn't very much to write home about when using it indoors or in low light situations. And also this bit which I am copying...

"It wonders me why the review about te GS 180 doesn,t mention the lack of use of the electronic image stabibisation in 16:9 mode. Not of this time! http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/images/icons/icon 13.gif
    Thumbs downI think many potential buyers would find this ridiculous, te lack of the E.I.M. , that is. "

Should I maybe steer clear of this cam from what has been said here?

5. Default

im sure with any camera you can find reviews that are not good. in my experience the panasonic cameras are very good - i have 2

if the review has put you off then go for something else as you may find that you get the camera and think actually that review was right.... but i would think that, had you not read that youwould think it was a pretty cool cam

Blog Entries

I think the only way to decide is to go play with them all in a shop

The Panasonic doesn't have the E.I.S because it has S.I.S (Super Image Stabilizer), As most of the guys here may testify I stand by the Pany GS range as the picture quality is second to none. You cant go wrong with the Pany.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

TDA-Digital Guest

Default Dealerships - Service - Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy View Post
    I noticed that someone had recommended the Panasonic NVGS180B and Panasonic NV-GS75EB as being a good 3CCD cam. Although there doesn't seem to be much info on the Panasonic NV-GS75EB. Are there others that may be better than these?
    I note on the Panasonic web site (http://panasonic.net/ ), that there are no authorized dealers in the country and living in the northern part of Thailand (Chiang Mai) I havenít found any retail outlets even selling recognized Panasonic digital video cameras under the table.

Hope this helps?
    TA

Quote Originally Posted by TDA-Digital View Post
    I note on the Panasonic web site (http://panasonic.net/ ), that there are no authorized dealers in the country and living in the northern part of Thailand (Chiang Mai) I havenít found any retail outlets even selling recognized Panasonic digital video cameras under the table.

Hope this helps?
    TA
    Thank you for your help, but I intend on buying the camcorder in the UK before I arrive in Thailand. One of my destinations will be Chiang Mai!

Yeebsy & Komatoast - Thanks for your advice and help. I am now deciding out of 2 models, which I will hopefully be deciding on today so I can get my order placed. It will either be the Panasonic GS180 or the Canon MVX460.

Anymore advice to aid my choice from these 2 will be appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast