Thread: How is that done

Default How is that done

Hi

I have seen videos that have a selected part from another video layed on top of a base video.

In the How the hell are you compatition Tony A was running about as a computer that was layered on to another video track.

The bit I don't get is how do you select a section from a moving film and remove the background across many frames.

Did I explain that well?

indiandy
    Bi-Polar Films "R" me...

That was a bit confusing, and I might need to see the video but I would say either green screen, or on frame at a timeÖ

Right, itís bluescreen, and it wasnít done particularly well. Against the blue background, the hands and face bits were just masked with other pieces of blue material.

Try it Ė itís not as difficult as you might think. You have to light the blue or green screen evenly. It was done in Premiere, but keying is much better controlled using After Effects, where you can trim the edges more cleanly.

Hi

Thanks Tony, It's something that I am aware of but it has always seemed so complicated I have read many tales of doom and dismay from more experienced editors than myself and have stayed well away. Something has cropped up where I could use the effect so I will have to bite the bullet and have a go.

I did hear of some software that once you traced the outline shape of the key element ( say a person) the program could track the movements over a length of film. is there such a thing or have I dreamt it up.

Anyhow thanks for your help, I will post the results if it is any good.

indiandy
    Bi-Polar Films "R" me...

Quote Originally Posted by indiandy View Post

I did hear of some software that once you traced the outline shape of the key element ( say a person) the program could track the movements over a length of film. is there such a thing or have I dreamt it up.
    This would be cooll if it existed. I've not heard of any s/w that would do this though. After Effects has 'tracking' capability but I've not known it used for dynamically building masks for effects though. Makes me wonder if it can though... hmmm....

Blue screening is basically a filter you can apply at edit time that makes anything blue transparent, showing the video layer beneath it in the editor. i.e have a picture of a lanscape on layer one. Filme someone with blue clothes against a blue background on layer 2. Apply the magic effect to layer two and the blue will all disappear and you will have a head magically floating against your landscape.

It's easy enough to get OK results. To get very good results though you will likely need some extra s/w. i.e. the appropriat eeffects has more control in After Effects than in Premiere as stated. The real art is where you need to mask out stuff that's not covered by blue or does not have a blue background and to evenly light the blue background.

Hi

Thanks for making it sound easy, I will let you know how I get on.

Can you use any thing blue and evenly lit as a background or does it have to be a special fabric . I was thinking of starting with something small, maybe an insect or something similar and drop it on some footage of people to look gigantic so I thought of using some art card.

I guess just a mid blue for colour.

indiandy
    Bi-Polar Films "R" me...