Thread: DV in and DV out

Default DV in and DV out

now i see some camcorders have DV in and out...i have read why in the argos catalogue but feel i ought to get a more comprehensive explanation in case for my situation i will need DV in!

i assume the dv by allowing the finished work to be put back on to a mini dv tape means i will be creating a master and not relying on keeping it on the pc for storage.
    ...i used to do this with vhs...as copying vhs to vhs for friends did lose quality

look forward to a clearer explanation...please!!

the make of the cam we now think we may buy is the sony HC35 or the jvc GR-D290...but only if we need the dv in

advice on other makes gratefully received

cheers

Blog Entries

Yes, dv in allows you to play the edited stuff back to tape. This can be usefull for archiving as you say and it is what I use whenever i send or screen a film. The quality is better than dvd, it is much quicker to do and much more reliable than dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Yes, dv in allows you to play the edited stuff back to tape. This can be usefull for archiving as you say and it is what I use whenever i send or screen a film. The quality is better than dvd, it is much quicker to do and much more reliable than dvd.
    top gun mark!! this reall narrows down the cam for us...dont want to sacrifice some feature in ignorance..
    thanks a lot!!
    cheers
    geof

ps any suggestions on a good master dv tape to use for top quality filming and archive..
    G

Blog Entries

In my expirience a tape is a tape is a tape.

I can't speak for anyone else on the forum, but you may need to try a few tapes first as this is what I had to do. I finally settled on Sony, having tried Panasonic, TDK and Maxell. Also get yourself a head cleaning tape and depending on how much recording you do, you may need to use it more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else on the forum, but you may need to try a few tapes first as this is what I had to do. I finally settled on Sony, having tried Panasonic, TDK and Maxell. Also get yourself a head cleaning tape and depending on how much recording you do, you may need to use it more often.
    check!!
    i have a sony hi-8 and used their tapes for a long time with success...
    so i can continue...i would purchase a master tape for recording and archive..if they still do that..used to be around 5 for the hi-8 ones..
    and a basic one for giving out copies and playback at home.

thanks
    geof

now we have the camera ..a mini dv tape model
    i would now need to get some software for editing the information and burning dvd's
    any advice on that...i was recommended pinnacle studio 10. whatever but see it gets all sorts of flak
    is the ulead stuff any good or should i go better..
    really would appreciate some more help here
    cheers
    geof
    manchester

Ulead VideoStudio 10 Plus

i settled on this..cheers