Thread: Wanting to sell a DvD I made

Default Wanting to sell a DvD I made

Just finished a dvd that I want to sell but I don't have the rights to the music. Does anyone know a way around this so I don't get aressted or in trouble? I was thinking putting on the dvd case free dvd inside and just sell the case and say the dvd is free. Yeah that is probably a pretty dumb idea but tell me what you think.
    Quad Freestyler

I think you have two real options here.

Either change the music or get permission. Anything else will get you into trouble.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quadfmxer_145 View Post
    Yeah that is probably a pretty dumb idea but tell me what you think.

Um... yep, you got that right!

Alan is right, get permissions. Licenses are available but not particularly cheap. What's the projected number of sales? Where will it be sold? What music is it and what's the duration?

I will probably only sell around 50 copies if that. It will just be sold on a local level.
    Quad Freestyler

I'm sorry to say but I tyhink your only legal way of doing this is to get permission.

However, on occasion I do make a handful of DVDs for some 'closed communities' i.e. My daughter's football team presentation ceremony where they give out manager's player of the year trophy and the like. I have to admit that I do not seek permission for any audio snippets I include in these productions and usually just ask a few quid each to 'cover costs'.

I guess the choice is yours though. the likelihood of any problems arising is probably negligible. However, if it does happen though it will be a damn nuisance.

Blog Entries

A few copies for a few mates at cost price is unlikely (in my uninformed opinion) is unlikely to cause any problem, whereas selling hundreds or thousands in a clear commercial way is a clear breach of copy right that may very well get you in court, and rightly so. In those circumstances it is best to use original music as commercial releases are not for the faint hearted or weak in pocket.

You are in a grey area - you are unlikely to get caught but if you do you aint got a leg to atnd on if you are selling at a profit.

Just covering reasnoble costs or giving them away is the safe way if you want to do the right thing or are paranoid.

I have been using copyright music for years on my web screened stuff and did seek a release for a phillip glass tune when I screened at an independant cinema. I spoke on the phone to the copyright holder after eventually tracking them down - a six month festival liscence was 50 quid but they told me they wouldnt reallt be concerned if it was not for profit and an 'arty' kind of thing. After that I stoppped worrying.

Personally on anything i was making money on i would use original music - that is just the proper way to do it.

7. Default

i feel getting the rights to using some music is often way more trouble than its worth as has already been said, you may as well ask someone to sort you out with some origional music or pay them and there are no problems with any people suing!

we generally use local bands - they are usually happy to get their music used and it make for some good publicity for them, plus they are usually pretty good and sometimes willing to write origional stuff for free

this was done for us by a local band about 4 years ago (productions is a bit poo but the song fits really well) -> http://www.videos.komatoastproductio...ery/intro.html