Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Entry level" HDV camcorder...

1. Question "Entry level" HDV camcorder...

What is the Canon 350D of HDV Camcorders? And by that I mean, what is the best, most professional and upgradeable (lenses, etc) "entry level" HDV Camcorder out there that can really educate the user in terms of understanding how HD video and professional camcorders work, etc?

MS.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Schmuck View Post
    What is the Canon 350D of HDV Camcorders?
    that's a pretty decent still camera. A bit small for my personal taste but damn good for the money and right up there at the 'very keen amatuer' level. I've got the 300D [aside]Reviews of the new 400D look like it's spot on![/aside]

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Schmuck View Post
    And by that I mean, what is the best, most professional and upgradeable (lenses, etc) "entry level" HDV Camcorder out there that can really educate the user in terms of understanding how HD video and professional camcorders work, etc?

MS.
    I can only think of one HDV camcorder that allows changing of lenses. That's the Canon H1 which is right up at the top end.

I use a Sony HDR-FX1E, which I think I would pretty much equate to the 350D (in the sense of being aimed at keen amatuers and lower end proffessionals i.e. weddings and the like) but it is not upgradeable in the sense you meant it.

You should get yourself up to IOV this week and play with a few. No doubt you'll find something to your liking.
    Last edited by Alan Mills; 10-16-2006 at 01:07 PM.

Blog Entries

I echo alans comments about the fx1 comparison. This cam is highly tht of and widely used in the industry.

I bumped into the casualty crew recently and they had a bunch of them for stunt shots, for throwing out of windows and crashing in cars and thongs... cringe, in aint right !

As for interchangeable lenses, also conssidor the jvc hd100, my next must have cam. Shoots in 720p, not 1080i as the sony and is favoured by those who want a 'film' look. The lens is a 'real' (but cheap) video lens of a standard fitment and with an adaptor 'prime' lenses can be used.

Prime lenses are not zooms and are those used on real film cameras. They give better contrast, less bloom, and other wat not... May be important if you want to use the camera in a 'filmy' way to make drama / doc stuff for cinema screening.

Along with the xl that is it for swappable lenses under 10,000. Other cameras can still make use of wide/ tele convertors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    ... and crashing in cars and thongs... .
    I've never crashed in a thong. Does it hurt more?

Sorry, couldn't resist

Blog Entries

Ahhh... just saw that in my post and I should have guessed it would have been spotted...

Went to a local MediaGalaxy representative today. "I'd like to see the Panasonic GS400 please" "Erm... we don't have any stock" "What about the GS500?" "I can't see it in my list" "Canon XM2?" "No, we don't have it" "What about the Sony HC1000?" "No..." "Do you have ANY prosumer/professional cameras in this price range?" "Erm... are these new models" "Yes, fairly new..." "Well I'm sorry but we can only order them for you from the manufacturers. We don't normally bring these into our stores, as they wouldn't sell. Not everyone affords such expensive camcorders bla bla bla"... and that is supposed to be the largest electronics store chain in the country. Boo!

Ahh the GS400 no longer available in the UK, and the GS500 not really a replacement.

I wish I'd bought more when I had the chance.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

8. Question

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Although two totally different camcorders, how would you say the Sony HVR-Z1E and the JVC GY-HD101E compare to each other? I've had the chance to fiddle around with both of these cameras recently, but am totally undecided upon which is indeed the better camera, or which to actually get... if either.

MS.
    Last edited by Marcus Schmuck; 11-02-2006 at 07:58 PM.

Blog Entries

The biggest differences are the format and the size.

The jvc is larger with a 'real' lens and can be shoulder held.

The sony is more compact with a fixed lens and is hand held.

The other big thing is that the jvc shoots in 720 p and the sony 1080i. In absoulute terms the amount of detail in each picture is similar but the 720p is often favoured by film makers and 1080i is favoured for tv use. Both can still do both but 720p is said to give a more film like look but it needs more care on pans to avoid jerkiness.

Both are great cameras. Have a go with both and see what fits you best.

10. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    The biggest differences are the format and the size.

The jvc is larger with a 'real' lens and can be shoulder held.

The sony is more compact with a fixed lens and is hand held.

The other big thing is that the jvc shoots in 720 p and the sony 1080i. In absoulute terms the amount of detail in each picture is similar but the 720p is often favoured by film makers and 1080i is favoured for tv use. Both can still do both but 720p is said to give a more film like look but it needs more care on pans to avoid jerkiness.

Both are great cameras. Have a go with both and see what fits you best.
    Thanks, Mark.

I've actually had a go with both of these cameras, but am dreadful when it comes to deciding these things.

I assume one could always shoot in 1080i and just deinterlace the crap out of the footage in post?

I have to admit, I do prefer the JVC's more "hands on" approach. Everything is already there on the camera without having to flick through any of the menus. I also like the fact that, as you say, it has interchangeable lenses - It just feels and operates more like a "proper camera".

However, although the Z1 has a fixed lens, it has many lens attachments, and can also be used in conjunction with a MovieTube (if necessary), which is such a cool piece of kit!

I'm probably going to have to sleep on this a bit more...

On a slightly different note, what's the life expectancy of one of these cameras?

-MS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast