Thread: The right software for the job?

Default The right software for the job?

Hi all,

I've got a pretty solid computer for doing video editing, but I'm looking for some new software for the editing, rendering and burning. I've been thoroughly disappointed with Pinnacle 10, and feel that it can't be my hardware that's causing the repeated lockups, reboots, and frame-dropping. After reading the many complaints about Pinnacle Studio 10 on this site, what I'm experiencing is typical.

My system is shown below, and I'm running Windows XP Pro. I've got the OS and software running on a SATA2 HD with 250 GB capacity. I'm feeding DV in with a Pinnacle capture card, and recently got the Studio 500 USB to read in VHS footage.

Aside from going to an Apple system, what software is best?

Thanks,
    Tom
    CPU: 64-bit AMD Athlon 3200 on MSI K8N Neo4
    RAM: 2 GB
    Video: EVGA GeForce 7300GS 256Mb

Studio 500 USB was a bad choice. You should have bought its internal equivalent (Studio 500 PCI), for better quality and more compatibility with various software editors. So I guess you're kind of stuck to Pinnacle Studio 10, at least for the analog work.

Default Not all is lost

Fortunately, I was able to remove Studio 10 from my computer and return it along with the 500-USB device. So at least I've recovered the cost!

I've re-installed Studio 9 with the latest patch, and all is working as it should. I'm still looking for a device that will allow me to read in analog... are all cards essentially created equally in this?
    CPU: 64-bit AMD Athlon 3200 on MSI K8N Neo4
    RAM: 2 GB
    Video: EVGA GeForce 7300GS 256Mb

Not really. It depends on the chipset. Look for something that can capture uncompressed if you want to do some editing. Otherwise, any card that captures directly into MPEG-2 should be fine.

My experience in capture cards is as follows:

Capture to AVI ready for editting == 50 to 100

Capture to MPEG2 == 600 (although I think they're a bit cheper now)