Thread: URGENT help needed

Default URGENT help needed

Please guys help me out here. I am trying to superimpose an image in to a video but I can not get the background clear and therefore do not only have the image in the video but also a big white box around it. I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 and After Effects Pro 6.5 as well as Corel Draw / Photo Paint 12. Any ideas and tips would be greatly appreciated.

You have a still image of 'something' against a white background and want to superimpose it in a video right?

A couple of ways of doing this.

Probably the best way is to open the image in a decent image editor, remove the white background and save it in a format that will preserve the transparency. I'm an Adobe fan so I would save the image as a Photoshop PSD file. Import that into Premiere. Drop it in a sequence as layer two. Job done.

If editting the image is not an option (and I can do it for you if you can't as this is easy enough - aren't I nice?) you can add it to your sequence as layer 2 and drop a 'Luma key' on it form your video effects folder. It may need a bit of masking and playing to get right but it should work ok unless you have lots of other pure white in the image.

Hi Allan I have tried the first option and it still comes up with the white background. I tried the second option but dont get to grips with the masking at the moment.
    See, I have got the Logo as an GIF image without a background but as soon as I put it over the video it has this white box again. It is all driving me insane. I can not even alfa render the image.

Maybe I should make it more clear of what I want to do. I have got a logo that I would like to insert within the whole of a 2.31 min. video.
    I try to import the image but as soon as I lay it over the video a white box appears around the logo.
    I would like to know how I get ONLY the logo to appear in the video without the box.
    See attached image for the logo
    Thank you all for your help
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK, here's a PSD file. add this and drop it on your timeline/sequence. and see how you go.

http://www.alandmills.co.uk/BackgroundLogo.psd
    Last edited by Alan Mills; 10-13-2006 at 07:34 PM.

It worked, You saved me from an hart attack. Just one question, how did you do it??? Thank you ever so much.

It's done exqactly as I said before. OPen the GIF in Photoshop. Delete the background, making it transparent. Save the resulting file in a format that preserves the transparency, names PSD. Open it in Premiere which recognises that transparency and treats it accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post

If editting the image is not an option (and I can do it for you if you can't as this is easy enough - aren't I nice?) you can add it to your sequence as layer 2 and drop a 'Luma key' on it form your video effects folder.
    Interesting technique...but a lot of work.

I've never used a PSD with Premiere...I usually just edit the image in Photoshop: if it's a logo or image you don't want the background to show up on, edit the image in Photoshop (using the background eraser tool or whatever works best for you), then save it with a transparent background in .GIF or .TGA format. Works for me every time.

Maybe I'll try the PSD route or Luma key option sometime to see how it works...

Using the Eraser tool in Photoshop especially around an intricate design seems like a lot of work to me. First convert the image from a background layer to an editable layer, then use the magic wand tool to select all the colour you want to erase. When the marching ants appear, just hit the Delete key and it will take it away, you may need to zoom in close and clean around the edges or use the Layer->Matting->Defringe or Remove Black Matte or Remove White Matte. To go one step further, make a new layer and fill it with either black or white and put it behind the image, this will make cleaning around the edge easier to see compared to using the chequerboard pattern which the default background. Or just save the file as a TIFF and bring it into Premiere and use Luma keying to remove the white or black background, just place the image on a layer above the video and move into position.

Quote Originally Posted by V View Post
    Interesting technique...but a lot of work.

I've never used a PSD with Premiere...I usually just edit the image in Photoshop: if it's a logo or image you don't want the background to show up on, edit the image in Photoshop (using the background eraser tool or whatever works best for you), then save it with a transparent background in .GIF or .TGA format. Works for me every time.

Maybe I'll try the PSD route or Luma key option sometime to see how it works...
    the original was a GIF. I guessd the transparent background settings were not set right then. I di a bundle of photo work too and I guess I just tend to think 'Photoshop' so tend to opt for the PSD option as a default.

I never even tried the luma key idea. I was just concerned that our friend had no means of editing his orioginal graphics and was trying to think of a way of seeing through the white background on his image. I'm not even sure it will work tbh.

Thgis type of image overlay though I think tends to lend itself to vector graphics so is re-sizeable. If you have an Illustrator version then use that.