Thread: video sound

Default video sound

sometimes when i download a video and play it i have to have my television at full volume to hear it. Can anyone advise what the problem is

2. Default

the problem is its not a dvd and has prolly been filmed in the cinema

Default Video

That is not the problem sound seems ok when i have it in AVI format it is when i transfer it onto a DVD disv. I use NERO and also quality Verbatim discs

4. Default

what film is it?

Blog Entries

I quite often encounter the same.... never have worked out why. With me it applies to commercial as well as stuff I record and burn myself.

Seabiscuit

If I have a piece of video with low volume I normally just grab the sound in a sound editor and then normalise it up to something like -6Db and re-attach it to the video. Does the trick.

However I do find that the best way to enjoy movies like this is to buy them on DVD like everyone else...

Blog Entries

I tell you what Alan... I find that the volume on stuff I've filmed and converted to AC3 is always low. Might just be a quirk of DVDA that the recompression has that result, but I'm just not sure.

(Good to see you back in the saddle again by the way, with those little quips at the end of your posts!)

Thank you Allan for your reply I take note of your little aside but however i would appreciate a little more help from a comlete novice if you could explain how to normalise to 6Db and how to do it. Thank you

Andy, too true. I notice all the time that when I play a DVD on my set top box I invariably have to turn up the volume. I read somewhere once that this was to do with the extra 'dynamic range' in DVD audio. Might all be nonsense though... but I agree, the do come out quieter.

Jack3216, Never take me too seriously. It's rare that I make a post here without my tongue firmly in cheak. Trust me, if/when you see my 'work' you'll know I don't take things seriously. All I meant was that you could compensate for the low volume before you burn the DVD. How you do it depends entirely on what software you have and use and you current workflow for converting your AVI files to a watchable DVD.

I do my audio editing in Adobe Audition and that has a very nice "Normalise to -6dB" filter that takes all the hard work out of it for you and give reasonable levels most of the time. If you open your avi in a video editor you should be able to just increase volume until things sound right.