Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brick Flics

Default Brick Flics

Hi

I had a go at a test animation to see what problems I could get into. I have not got a DV camcorder yet and the Sony Hi8 has not got a stop motion option so I used a Kodak EasyShare DX6490 digital still camera and put them together in an editing program called Movie Plus by Serif.

The problems that are the most obvious are focus and close ups but I hope these will be sorted out with a proper Mini DV camcorder.

Anyway, What do you think.

indiandy
    Bi-Polar Films "R" me...

2. Default

that was way too graphic!
    seriusly though, it was quite good. if i was to do a stop anime i would also use a digi cam as i dont have a cam with 1 frame stop motion. you may want to look at sorting out the black edges.

nice job.

I enjoyed your little test. The sound was a bit distorted. Maybe for future episodes you could build some simple sets which would really add to it.

Hi Alex

Yes, I enjoyed making it and learnt a load, sound came from a toy S Club 7 mic and I am working on a small set to complete the animation. Found loads of helpful advice on Brick Films.

indiandy
    Bi-Polar Films "R" me...

Blog Entries

Didnt play for me, is it still there ?

Hi Mark

Yes, it all seems to be there in all of it's 10 seconds of glory. Please don't expect too much it was my first attempt, I am experimenting with animation technique and getting better all the time.

You have a good knowledge of Camcorder, I have about 600 to spend. I may have missed the boat with the Panasonic GS400 (good reviews every where) the 500 is not so good.

It seems strange that for 300 you can get a great camera but not many extras for the extra cash until you go into the semi pro range that is out of my range.

Any ideas

indiandy
    Bi-Polar Films "R" me...

The 500 is supposed to be a successor to the 400 and obviously isn't, therefore lots of disappointed people(including me) writing bad reviews.

It is still a top camcorder and the picture quality is as good as the 400 with only a bit of functionality removed.

From experience I can recommend the lower priced 3ccd panasonics but have not tried the gs75.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Hi

Thanks for that info and yes, the Panasonics do look good. As I said at the start of this thread I have become very interested in stop animation (you could say obsessive) and I understand that none of the Panasonics have a stop motion feature, in fact very few camcorders have.

I have just read up about a JVC GR-X5 that ticks all the right boxes but has not got a viewfinder. I am not sure how I would get on with that in normal filming as I do like having the use of a viewfinder in some conditions.

indiandy
    Bi-Polar Films "R" me...

I have always found stop animation better with a stills camera. you get much more detail and using the timer and a tripod to take the stills there is no chance of handshake. Also the image size of stills is larger which means you have plenty of room to simulate zooms and pans.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Yes, The more I look into stop animation it seems the serious animators all use digital stills. It means me upgrading my Kodak (which I quite like) for something with more manual control, I have read that a lot of animators started with something like a Canon Powershot or Fuji Fine pix but that means me digging into the pot of cash that was ear marked for a new camcorder.

Life can be such a challenge.
    Last edited by indiandy; 10-28-2006 at 05:30 PM.
    Bi-Polar Films "R" me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast