Thread: Can it be done?

Default Can it be done?

I'm a newbie and appreciate any help.

Using Premier Elements 2.0

Video from camcorder was not time encoded, so the whole video is one clip.

I can use razor or "split clip", remove unwanted footage, rearrange clips, etc. I can rename each segment. But I can't save them as separate clips in media window or to disk.

The footage includes various unrelated subjects. How can I save scenes from this project for use in other projects, as "freestanding" clips, so to speak?

Scene splitting is really part of your capture workflow.

if this is really important to you then it might actually be worth your time recpaturing the tape with scene detection on so you capoture each scene to a different AVI file. Or do the scene detection manually as you gop through the tape.

I'm assuming Elements does has auto scene detection in the capture s/w.

Or, if that's too much trouble you could try the following (and this is completely untested btw). Also, I'm assuming the following functionality is available in Elements like it is in Pro...

Create a new project and import your one big clip. Open the clip in the source window and set your in and out points. Rename the clip to the scene it now is. Cut and past the scene/clip in the bin to duplicate it. Open it in the source window and change the in and out points. Rename. repeats till you have a project with all of your 'scenes' in it. Save project.

Now, any time you want to yuse those scenes in another project you can just (?) import that project into the one you wish to work on and you should have all your scenes available to add to timelines/sequences.

The amount of work involved here though (if the number opf clips is large) would be as much if not more than recapturing the tape. Also, if you recaptyure the tape into individual scenes you will have many smaller files whcih would be easier to back up on writeable media.

HTH

Alan

Thanks for the suggestions, Alan!

Elements does detect scenes, but only if the camera timecoded the tape (I assume that's true for other platforms.) I suppose I had that function in the camera disabled (won't happen again.)

Anyway, I think your suggestion of starting over and capturing each scene separately is probably the best course.

Again, thanks for taking time to help a newbie!

John

or you could import the full avi into prem, and go up and select 'new sequence' in the menu bar.
    {I'm taking it in Elements you can at least add a new sequence) if so..
    then all you need to do is go back to your original sequence, cut it where you want it to start and end>copy, then click on sequence 2.paste. Now export it, give it a name, and bobs your uncle, you have the avi file size your after!

Then go back.delete the avi you already chopped and exported, then do it again, over and over until you have all the footage in all the right files your after.

Sound hard but very easy and quick. I'd do this before I'd re capture it all again!

If you can't add sequences in Elements then disregard all i've written

Quote Originally Posted by john12 View Post
    or you could import the full avi into prem, and go up and select 'new sequence' in the menu bar.
    {I'm taking it in Elements you can at least add a new sequence) if so..
    then all you need to do is go back to your original sequence, cut it where you want it to start and end>copy, then click on sequence 2.paste. Now export it, give it a name, and bobs your uncle, you have the avi file size your after!

Then go back.delete the avi you already chopped and exported, then do it again, over and over until you have all the footage in all the right files your after.

Sound hard but very easy and quick. I'd do this before I'd re capture it all again!

If you can't add sequences in Elements then disregard all i've written
    probably safe enough with this approach but do be aware that, to all intents and purposes, everytime you export and re-import the results you will lose quality. Not much, and you probably need to go through a dozen iterations before things get too bad to work, but the effect is cumulative.

This is why I suggested the 'edit source' approach as it effeectively achieves the same thing without the exporting and re-importing.

The choice is yours.

I'm curious about this comment that timecode was disable dint he camera. Am I missing something here everyone? I wasn't aware this was an option. I thought if footage was on tape then you had a timecode for Mini DV tapes. Please educate me.

edit source will have to do -- elements does not seem to have the "new sequence" command. Fortunately I've only just begun, so I've begun recapturing the few hours of tape with which I started.

Thanks to both of you for your help!