Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which codec to use whilst editing?

fAuLk Guest

Question which codec to use whilst editing?

I was wondering if anyone could please help...

The video format that comes off my new digital camera is in the MPEG format. I know this isn't "editable" and that to do so, I need to convert it into a different format, preferably AVI right?

What codec does everyone use? Either to temporarily edit the clips and then delete them once the project has been exported, or, to store them with a certain codec for future editing.

Due to this I don't really want to keep all the videos I take with this camera in their native MPEG format.

Cheers

2. Default

Simple. DV-AVI

Blog Entries

Some editors can edit mpeg ok, converting to dv is a good idea as Everediie says if you need to but check first if it is needed with your editor.

fAuLk Guest

Question

Thanks for your replies.

I've installed the latest version of MainConcept DV codec but whenever I try to recompress my video with this codec selected in VirtualDub, it gives the following error message:

Output compressor error: The source image format is not acceptable. (error code -2)

It might be worth noting that my camera is a Sony DSC P-200, not a proper camcorder and the video it produces is 640x480, 30fps - progressive scan, MPEG-1.

Cheers

Blog Entries

What editor are you plannig on using? Have you tried thie raw output in any editors?

fAuLk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    What editor are you plannig on using? Have you tried thie raw output in any editors?
    Planning on using Premiere Pro to edit. Yeah I've tried exporting as uncompressed/raw from VirtualDub and TMPGEnc Xpress. The results are choppy video with huge file sizes.

Blog Entries

A raw file will be huge but should work fine depending on your pc, not the most elegant soloution. I would have thought premier would be ok with the file directly from the camera with no transcoding - have you tried this?

fAuLk Guest

Premiere doesn't let me import these files, says unsupported format or damaged file.

Would this just be a codec issue?

Blog Entries

Maybe, have a google about. Try using v dub to another codec, divx maybe, that your editor accepts. DV has to be DV sized to work in v dub i think.

10. Default

If you are trying to output to DV-AVI in VirDub it WILL only want a proper size. This is a function of the Codec itself, not VirDub. In the US it is 720 wide. Have you tried to re-size in VirDub to your 'standard' before saving. This has worked for me. Use the 'Precise Bilinear' filter setting when re-sizing.

Since Divx is another highly compressed format I don't thinik you will gain anything exporting to that or any other compressed format.

Raw is a very big file size and will choke many computers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast