Thread: DVD Burning

Default DVD Burning

I'm using Adobe Encore 1.5 together with a NEC ND-2510A DVD writer. The DVD writer is specified to write at 8x, and the media I buy is 8x, yet Encore has never been able to burn at more than 4x. Does anyone know, is this a a limitation within Encore, or do I have an issue with my drive or media?
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Ian, easy enough to test whetehr it's Encore or not. Use Encorte to build a disk image on your hard drive (DVD folders options as I recall) and then use something like Nero to do the actual burn. That will take Encore out of the burning process.

Although I have to admit I'm getting the equivalent problem lately... I have an older 4x writing using 16x media. At 4x a DVD should take about 15 mins to burn. They are consistently taking over half an hour lately and I'm not sure why. I get this on copying disks as well as disk writes from HDD using Nero. Curious really.

It's an older box now (2.5 years old) so I'm just assuming I have too much clutter runnign in the background slowing things down.

That DVD RW has a list of supported media, you will find a list on the site as to what they burn at.

You may wish to update the ATAPI driver on your system and check for updates. You DVDRW is quite old now and I believe there may be some firmware updates for it.
    Need Pro Computer advice?

Alan, thanks. I read somewhere that older drives may not handle the newer dyes so well - that may explain your problem (and mine). GTWCM - thanks. Yes, once I've eliminated Encore as the problem, in the way Alan suggests, I plan to update my firmware. It's currently 2.15, and 2.18 is available. Good point re the ATAPI driver.

Mind you, at 20 for a new 16x dual layer drive, I'm not sure why I'm bothering...
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

Quote Originally Posted by Ian in Northampton View Post
    Alan, thanks. I read somewhere that older drives may not handle the newer dyes so well - that may explain your problem (and mine).
    The laser diode in older drives may be getting weak, they don't last forever. The original DVD burning drives were running the diodes right at their limit to get the fastest burn rate. With age/use the output power falls off rather quickly when they are run this hard. Good burning software does a calibration test to measure the output before each burn then selects a suitable speed to produce a good quality burn. As the diode fades, the burn speeds get slower and slower.

Mind you, at 20 for a new 16x dual layer drive, I'm not sure why I'm bothering...
    Exactly! The newer drives have much better laser diodes. My first burner, an NEC 1100, slowed then crapped out after about 50 hours burn time. My Memorex x16 DL drive has twice that time on it and it still does x16 burns.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Interesting stuff, Crusty - I didn't know that. I've now upgraded the firmware to the latest revision, and am just awaiting an opportuity to burn an Encore project - should happen this evening. It'll be interesting to see if the new firmware makes a difference. After that, I plan to follow through on Alan's suggestion to see if it's a limitation in Encore.

And then: 20 on a new drive, or the gigabyte of memory I've been promsiing myself for ever...? Decisions, decisions...

Just to close this out: I upgraded the firmware on the drive from 2.15 to 2.18 - and Encore now says it's burning at 8x. Result! Or possibly not - it doesn't seem any faster and, in fact, may even have been slower... :-(

I've learnt a lot from this thread so thanks all.

I've also noticed that read times are not so good too. for example. I borrowed an audio book from my local library and ripped it to MP3 to listen to in the car (purely to save having to swap disks every hour) an dnoticed thgat 'rip' times were significantl slower from my DVD write (pioneer 107) than from my generic DVD ROM drive that gets used rarely.

When i find time I'll do the firmware upgrade (if there is one) but I won't be in a hurry because, as Ian pointed out, 20 for a new Pioneer 111 and the ability to burn dual layer (at last!) looks far more apetising tbh. And if I hold off another month it;s close enough to Xmas to justify to anyone actually listening...