Thread: converting a DVD to an .avi file

Default converting a DVD to an .avi file

Hello,
    I am new to this forum and I am trying to determine what is the lowest version of Sony Vegas or any video editing software I need to buy in order to take video off a DVD and convert it to an AVI or an Quicktime file.

I am a film composer and am now receiving everything on DVD instead of VHS tape. My system is a Pentium 4 PC.

Thank you all for your help.

JL

You could buy some DVD ripping hardware (google...convert DVD to AVI) and you'll find loads then edit the AVI in Windows Movie Maker which is free with XP.

Video Edit software wont help you in taking the material off of a DVD. However as a composer it may help you in your composing but i am sure you already have the software to do this.

You can do what you nned to do in two ways.

1) DVD Ripping. Dimilar to CD ripping but obviously a little more compliated. There are hundreds of diffrent DVD ripping applications out there. Some more extensive than others. The high end ones I think for your purposes would be a bit of a waste on you as I assume all you need is a reference to compose to so some of them are very easy to use. Look for Smart Ripper. I can offer other suggestions if need be.

2) DVD Capture/Digitizing. This is the hardware route and can be done cheaply also. You could simply go buy yourself a TV camture card. You should be able to plug a DVD player into this and record it like you were recording TV. There are high end professional DVD capture devices out there but again you probably dont need them but if you do i can make suggestions.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by irishmark; 10-17-2006 at 03:01 AM. Reason: I spell like a melon sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by irishmark View Post
    Viedo Edot software wont help you in taking thematerial off of a DVD.
    I shall directly reply to the question regarding Sony software. This is what I can do using Sony's modestly priced NLE - Sony Vegas Movie Studio:

#1 - Open Sony Vegas Movie Studio [SVMS]

#2 - Place DVD into drive and immediately close down any DVD player that wishes to hijack the import process!

#3 - Using Microsoft Explorer I can view the contents of the VOB through Media Player and decide which of the "VOBs" contain the material I want and copy this to my PC's Desktop.

#4 - I can now Drag this VOB directly onto the SVMS Timeline. Once here I can choose to render-out into an AVI.

I hope this helps?

G

Purly to smite Grazie's doubts of my knowledge on the subjest let me be a lil more specific - Yes If you have the correct codecs installed, dragging the VOB's on to the disc then into Vegas will work BUT - this in some versions of Vegas will not show or play the sound HENCE my suggestions preiously mentioned. I answed as above assuming that as a composer you are looking for a consice professional way of working. I would not reccomend Grazies method as if faced with copy protected discs - you wont be able to do it that way. (unless you have copy hacking deencryption software but we dont talk about pirarte type stuff in these here forums)

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    I shall directly reply to the question regarding Sony software. This is what I can do using Sony's modestly priced NLE - Sony Vegas Movie Studio:

#1 - Open Sony Vegas Movie Studio [SVMS]

#2 - Place DVD into drive and immediately close down any DVD player that wishes to hijack the import process!

#3 - Using Microsoft Explorer I can view the contents of the VOB through Media Player and decide which of the "VOBs" contain the material I want and copy this to my PC's Desktop.

#4 - I can now Drag this VOB directly onto the SVMS Timeline. Once here I can choose to render-out into an AVI.

I hope this helps?

G

Purly to smite Grazie's doubts of my knowledge on the subjest let me be a lil more specific - Yes If you have the correct codecs installed, dragging the VOB's on to the disc then into Vegas will work BUT - this in some versions of Vegas will not show or play the sound HENCE my suggestions preiously mentioned.
    I shall consider myself duly "smitten"! Anyway, as our friend is asking about how to take off material using " . .any video editing software" it was a given for me that he/she knew about CODECS, and the need for them to be present on the machine. Now, which versions of Vegas wont it "show" or "play" in? I'm interested. Vegas is very proud about being Media-Agnostic.

I answed as above assuming that as a composer you are looking for a consice professional way of working.
    Yes, I understand this too. And as I said I would answer solely from my experience relating to the experience I've had with the Sony package, 'cos that's what he'd asked.

I would not reccomend Grazies method as if faced with copy protected discs - you wont be able to do it that way. (unless you have copy hacking deencryption software but we dont talk about pirarte type stuff in these here forums)
    Eh? - "as if faced with copy protected discs .. "? I understood because "I am a film composer and am now receiving everything on DVD instead of VHS tape." that our chum here WANTED to compose to material he HAD been given and authorised to access? And that consequently the provider of such material was deeply happy to have their work accessible? I wasn't aware that the discs would be copy protected? How did you garner that from what our "composing" chum said? And yes, if you haven't been authorised to do this then don't. So what are you referring to - "you wont be able to do it that way"? I'm confused?

Look, whether a hardware or software solution is employed to "transfer" material from one source to another, the person doing this has to be authorised to do so. We can't de-invent a software or hardware process that is already out there. However, what DO remain in place when employed, are the legal frameworks, restrictions and conditions that make copying actions without previously/prior obtained authorisation, illegal.

NOT speaking about these issues is NOT an option. Awareness is all.

If I/you/we haven't the authority to copy material then it is a no-no. And just for the record, I used my own work here that I had previously authored through Sony DVDArchitect.

And yes, I did ask myself if I could go ahead and do it. But you SHOULD have seen the paperwork!!

removed as it was a double post
    Last edited by irishmark; 10-17-2006 at 12:20 PM. Reason: double post

ok ok ok - lets not get into a cat-fight here as this is the way its going.

My angle on all this is a professional one. I have worked with composers in the past and see how they work in a professional enviorment hence my offering up suggestions that are more controlled.

While Vob dropping can work, practice has show me that it is not reliable therefore I don't recommend it. The last thing anyone wants is a situation where you are sat with a client and it doesn't work. If you have doubts about this then consider yourself lucky that you have not encountered it. I have worked in Professional studios on Media100 and Avid systems where this has happened and yes while Vegas is Media agnostic, not all media is supported and it has occurred here too.

However I would say there is no harm in trying this method as it is the quickest method when it does work.

When it comes to Copy Protected Discs I was referring to technicalities not permissions. If faced with a Disc that has digitally signed copy protection, Copying the VOBs can be an absolute nightmare and in alot of (not all) cases it is not possible to copy the Vobs onto the HardDisk. While he may be able to drag them into Vegas straight from the DVD this is very bad practice as the Drive will not be able to keep up with the inevitable scrubbing on a timeline.

Overall - Boseyman's original Question is actually not valid for what he wants to do. He is looking for a solution to get material off of a DVD so he can use it as a reference to compose his scores to. It does not matter which NLE he uses because most NLE's do not have tha facility to digitize staright from a DVD. There are several diffrent ways to digitize material from a DVD it is now up to him to decide what level of technicalities he wants to get into on doing it and what his budget is.

Once he has the material off the disc any NLE will be fine for reference. I'd look at older versions of Vegas like Vegas5 or 6 - or he could go with movie studio.
    Last edited by irishmark; 10-17-2006 at 12:16 PM.

ok ok ok - lets not get into a cat-fight here as this is the way its going.
    Sorry? But that wasn't my wish either? Just re-stating what I had answered and asking for clarification. Thank you for claryfiing "When it comes to Copy Protected Discs I was referring to technicalities not permissions."

While Vob dropping can work, practice has show me that it is not reliable therefore I don't recommend it. The last thing anyone wants is a situation where you are sat with a client and it doesn't work. If you have doubts about this then consider yourself lucky that you have not encountered it. I have worked in Professional studios on Media100 and Avid systems where this has happened and yes while Vegas is Media agnostic, not all media is supported and it has occurred here too.
    Absolutely! NOT having something working in front of a client is the pits. However he did ask for: "I need to buy in order to take video off a DVD and convert it to an AVI or an Quicktime file. " It was the "convert" that sold it to me. This I have done. It works. Conversions work for me. Is this where you mean "lucky"? In any event I didn't think he was wanting to drive it directly from the VOB? What part of the VOB dropping have you found wanting? At the drop or during conversion?

As I said, once within SVMS this can then be converted to an AVI. I found using AVIs is far better for scrubbing.