Thread: Tapes on a sony Pd150-canon xm2.

Default Tapes on a sony Pd150-canon xm2.

Hi sorry if this is a stupid question but ive never experienced this problem and need help big time. Well my friend borrowed a Sony PD150 from college to film a project and he gave me the tapes as he had to hand the camera back in but as soon as i played the footage through my camera it was all jerky and flashing up in the corner, 12 bit and 16:9. Does this mean the settings that the sony filmed the footage on cannot be played over the canon? Its extremly confusing as i wouldnt have thought this would be a problem, the boy tells me the camera is PAL and so i dont think as far as i know its anything to do with frame rate. Ive run it through fire wire on to the pc in capture but its still the same problem its jus the screen expands in ratio from wide screen to large. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. The only thing i can think it may be is that the camera settings have been 16:9 ratio with 12-bit sound but i have changed the sound on the menu setting of the canon but it doesnt make a difference its just still completly jerky and un usable.

Blog Entries

I think I have had this problem too ages ago when helping to edit some stuff for someone.

I am certain the pd150 can, and may only, shoot in dvcam format. The information on the tape is identical to dv but the tape runs a bit faster, this means recording are less prone to drop outs and tapes get used a bit faster.

I remember trying to play the dvcam tapes on a dv only deck, they nearly played, but very choppily as the deck struggled to get the tracking right.

This is what I think is happening. To capture the tapes you will need a camera / deck that can play dvcam tapes. Does your canon camera play dvcam tapes, if not this may be the problem.

I believe that canons only play dv tapes not dvcams, i think that only sonys do play them. Umm so i dont think i will be purchasing a tape deck anytime soon but yet try to borrow the sony from his college. thanks for your help though!!