Thread: USB 2 analogue trouble

Default USB 2 analogue trouble

I have read the analogue-digital guide to high quality by marc and am a bit confused.

I have a dazzle fusion which came with pinnacle 8 quickstart. i am running it on a laptop with USB 1 and the quality is awful, i mean black and white with grains and lines and about 3 frames a second. The laptop can only run pinnacle 8 quickstart but hasn't got the memory to capture from it. I downloaded a freeware capture program which the computer can handle but it is still the crap quality. I am considering moving up to USB 2 which is made all the while harder as i am using a laptop.

My only solution at the moment is to buy a USB 2 PCMCIA card and put it into my laptop to increase its quality.

the guide mentioned that it can be something to do with encoding. Does the fusion have a poor encoder?

please help

Hen

Even if it does have a bad encoder, the main reason you have poor capture quality is because of USB 1.1. Think about it:

One second of uncompressed video is anywhere from 2 to 10 megabytes, if I recall correctly.

USB 1.1 has a transfer rate of 12 megaBITs per second, which translates to 1.5 megaBYTEs per second. You don't have enough bandwidth on the USB 1.1 bus to transfer video.

USB 2.0, however, has a transfer rate of 480 megabits per second, which translates to 60 megabytes per second. This is WAY more than enough for transferring video. You should definitely get a USB 2.0 card. If you are running anything lower than Windows XP, though, remember to get the patches required for USB 2.0.

I have a Dazzle Fusion too. Not actually tried pluggin it into a USB1 port but througha USB port onto Windows Xp Pro the quality is fine.

Curious that you got different s/w tome in your Fusion box. Mine came with Moviestar5.

is there any way of reducing the captured video file from the dazzle??

Why would you really want to? If you reduced size of the file it would be due to compression and so quality would be reduced. Best to do your editting with good quality footage end then worry about movie size when you get to the exporting stage I think.

Disk space is a relatively cheap nowadays and the cost of a new hard drive should not be too prohibitive to keep the editing going.

someone i know is getting rid of there tape drive and backup tapes, each one can store up to 50gig data, would it be a wise idea to switch to these?