Thread: web page question.

Blog Entries

Default web page question.

I hope this doesnt get the purists and perfectionists all flustered with me.... here goes.

As some of you amy have seen, my web site is completely rubbish, but it does what I wanted and that is to give a vehicle to show my films, but it does look awfull.

I did it in fp in a coffee fueled frenzy with zero knowledge to begin with.

I have tried to do a better one in fp but i am defeated and I dont really wnat to take a load of time to learn the 'proper' way.

All I want is a very basic site that looks a bit better but laying it out neatly is defeating me in fp.

I have publisher and I see that it can save as html. Is it a sensible thing to do to lay out my page in publisher, which I can do, and sae it as a web page then use fp to add in links and things? Will this work?

I stress i am not aiming for clever code or whizzy effects, just a bunch of well laid out pics and text with some liks to other pages.

Hopefully this can give you awners - http://www.pixel2life.com/tutorials/...oft_frontpage/
    How do you want your site to look?
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 10-06-2006 at 06:31 PM. Reason: made URL clickable

Blog Entries

Look? Well better really, I tried to lay it out better in fp abd got in a total mess with tables and cells, I really have no idea at all and was hoping for a quick fix...

I have been playing with publisher and it is clear to me that isnt really going to help.

I want to lay the text and pics out neatly, lie on the bbc news site. Daft of me really to think there would be a quick fix, I think i will have to learn it properly... I bet its all to do with css (?) and 'style sheets' (?) and err, content management...

Well, taste of my own medicin really as I am always telling people that editing is hard and practice makes perfect. Will look at that tut and others and see if I can make head or tail of it, but I am not that confident I will get anywhere fast...

Blog Entries

Right, just loaded the bbc news front page into fp and it looks to be made in a very basic fashion, all cells pictures put together how I imagined.

My problem is when I try to 'draw' a layout of cells in fp I just get in a mess, especially when trying to keep the layout nice and neat and when trying to cpy / paste cells, it does not do waht i expect...

Hmmm, I think a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I am clearly being incredibly naive in hoping it was going to be easy like publisher. I mean you cant just drw a box, inert a pic and place them where you want, you have to get this impossible to draw grid of cells right first... I guess it's rtfm time and do the job properly.

God, I bet this looks highly amusing to some of you web gurus out there

Blog Entries

After several years of trying to get sites to look right, I finally ended up paying someone else to do it for me. Best decision I ever made!

Blog Entries

Ha, yes indeed, I am fast losing the will to live here...

BUT

I think I may have learned what i needed to know after fiddling with that bbc page, just like Shrek said, it's all about layers.

I discovered that creating a table in a new layer means that the contents of the table can be freely moved and placed like a box in fp, now I think I have what I need to do what I want....

Onwards...