Thread: Video Transparency (Alpha Channel)

Default Video Transparency (Alpha Channel)

I need help, my friends.

I exported an AVI from 3D Studio Max 5 and I want to import it to Premiere Pro with a transparent background (now it's black). When I rendered my animation at 3D Max, I exported the Alpha Channel AVI, meaning the same animation but black and white. I would like to know how can I "tell" Premiere Pro that I want to apply the Alpha.AVI on my animation.AVI so it will have the background transparent.

Thanks!
    ----
    Erick Pess˘a
    Rio de Janeiro - RJ
    Brazil

Hi there, whats an alpha channel AVI I didnt think AVI's support an alpha channel. If the AVI has an alpha channel then right click the track in the timeline, select transparency - alpha channel. The way I normally use alpha channels is with TGA image sequences as the alpha channel is recognised in premier.

tonga

Tonga,

When I say Alpha Channel AVI I mean a totally independent AVI that is simply a black and white version of the original animation. I thought that exporting this "alpha version" there could be a way to apply transparency on that.

The point of exporting a sequence of TGA images is that with a 13 seconds animation, so I will have 400 TGA images. How can I "time" each one of the frames? With an AVI, I know that is 13 seconds, with 400 TGAs, how can I redimension it to be a frame and not a second at the Premiere Timeline?

Thanks!
    ----
    Erick Pess˘a
    Rio de Janeiro - RJ
    Brazil

I'm confused.
    When you say a black and white version of the original footage - if thats all it is then it has no alpha channel. An alpha channel is information embedded into the footage or still wich tells premier etc which areas of the image should be treated as transparent.
    If you mean a flat B&W image like a matte, then still you will have no alpha if its an AVI, you will however be able to key uot either the black or white portion of the image in premier and then make your selection transparent.

If you export your project from 3Dsmax as TGA images, with an embedded alpha channel, you will get 25 TGA's per second of animation (assuming your in a PAL region). When you import these into premier as a numbered sequence each TGA will become a frame of 1/25th second - you dont need to "time" anything premier does it for you, your TGA sequence will look just like any other clip in your bins.

Drop the clip into the time-line (in a track that supports transparency ie 2 up) and if your using premier pro it will apply transparency to the alpha channel. With 6.5 down you need to assign manually in the clips transparency settings to recognise the alpha channel - check the manual.

As I said before TGA's hold alpha channels, which is why I use them when working with transparency.

Tonga

I'm wondering if he means to use the mono avi as a matt to the full colour version so that background shows through where not wanted.

Not attacked anything evern close myself yet so can;t vouch for how or even if it can be done in Premiere.

I think your right Millsy, but its the long way round in this case, far easier to export from Max with your transparency already mapped and embedded.

tonga

hi Polska,

Quote Originally Posted by Polska
    When I say Alpha Channel AVI I mean a totally independent AVI that is simply a black and white version of the original animation. I thought that exporting this "alpha version" there could be a way to apply transparency on that.
    With an AVI, I know that is 13 seconds, with 400 TGAs, how can I redimension it to be a frame and not a second at the Premiere Timeline?
    I just read about it, use track matte for that Alpha Channel AVI. Put your videos on the tracks like this:
    V3: Alpha AVI
    V2: the 3ds
    V1: background
    and on V2: the 3ds apply transperancy using track matte key and that's it.

I'm not really sure, but for TGA you just need to import file, on that window check the "numbered stills"... I think, just choose the first number of file and open, and it will become an animation in premier instead of stills.

Good luck!