Thread: AVI to DVD?

Default AVI to DVD?

A BIG hello to everyone. Great Place you have here. Just got a Sony DV Handycam and a firewire card for PC, so expect to be bugged in the near future! :-P

Quick question regarding AVI authoring.

What software do you guys use? I have used Nero Vision Express 2/3 and the audio always starts to go out of synch after 15 mins.

I have tried some trial bits of software (to test before I buy), but the quality is pants! Also messing around in Adobe Premier and Sony DVD Architect (Camcorder now) vids are also too big for DVD (also have the same problem in Final Cut on MAC - they are like 18GB!).

Any anyone successfully been able to burn AVI to DVD that has the audio in-synch.

Sorry for confusion mentioning camcorder as well - main question is about a good software I can buy to convert AVI/MPEG to DVD (VOB???)

Thanks a lot.

Beat

Just realised I have somehow posted this on the wrong topic!

Can someone please move this thread to DVD authoring section please?

Thank ee Sire

Blog Entries

Within the applications you mentioned, are you outputting to DVD? You say your final film size is about 18GB, but at maximum quality this would be around about 4.5 hours.

Thanks for the quick reply Marc.

My mistake was getting 60 minutes for 12GB in Adobe Premier from Sony Handcam DV46e (MiniDV) via firwire

im sure I will crack it - dont want to sarcafrice too much quality or lower resolution. Looks so good hooking cam to TV - thinking about DVD recording (if I have to buy one) the video, then using DVD Shrink to rip it to vob, then edit out the scenes ..etc. But then Ive still got to get it back down to fit on a single DVD!!

Seems very long winded when I have a firewire connection between the 2 and the multple conversions must take away from the quality a bit!

I'll do some more reading on tis forum as Im sure its been addressed before.

My main question was converting AVI to DVD successfully.

What decoder/Authoring package do you guys use so I can test a trial.

Thanks Marc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beatfreak View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply Marc.

My mistake was getting 60 minutes for 12GB in Adobe Premier from Sony Handcam DV46e (MiniDV) via firwire
    No, this is the standard work flow for working with DV footage:

Capture via firewire to your PC (lossless process) > edit in an editing application > (optional step) output to DV AVI > convert to MPEG > author DVD

The above is the workflow I use because it's one I've used to maximise quality myself. It's not the most efficient, but DVDs I create are identical in terms of percieved quality as the source.

I use Adobe Premiere 1.5 to capture and edit the DV files from my camcorder, then export to one large DV AVI file. I take this file and encode to DVD compliant MPEG using either ProCoder Express from Canopus or TMPEnc Xpress 4 (depending on what PC I'm usiing!). I find that these applications are easier to use and provide the options to get the quality spot on. I then import the MPEG(s) into Adobe Encore to author and burn the DVD.

Thanks Marc.

Answers both questions (conversion).

What can you safely say is a good duration to brun to standard DVD (4.4GB) without loosing too much quality?

Want to edit some holiday footage, but adding titel and some fancy bits - surely can get 60-90 mins???

Blog Entries

At maximum quality with uncompressed audio, you will get an hour of video on a DVD. By compressing the audio and reducing the bitrate you will get your wish of 90mins on a DVD without compromising much on quality.