Thread: question in regards to basic cuts

Default question in regards to basic cuts

hey guys

This is probably an easy one for you

I'm currently working on doing a trailer of my own for the movie 'the hills have eyes'
    when I'm cutting from shot to shot it looks to Raw.
    Is their away to make a basic cut look much better. I tried using the 'Take' option in the transitions and that seems to look much better, however I'm just wondering if theirs a standard transition for this that you guys use?

I hope you get what i mean because when i say 'Raw' I'm not really shore what the technical term is for it!

Cheers

Blog Entries

A basic cut is just that, a cut from one scene to another without adding anything. To make the cut seem more natural you must pay attention to the footage just before the cut of the first video and after the cut of the second. You'll find that for example cuts to a similar angle / shot won't look 'right', whilst cuts to movement will seem perfect. It's an art rather than a science.

It would help if you posted some sample cuts.

makes sense because some of the cuts look really good and some come off as a bit of a jump looking edit!

I think i have my cuts pretty good since i obviously go through them carefully although i just thought their might be something i was missing being that some of the cuts look to be so raw and almost as if they are mistakenly put their. Now i guess i know, they are, when they don't look professional.

Cheers

any other advice welcomed

I don't really know how to upload samples, due to i don't have a web site which i can upload to! And don't really understand or know how to any other way. I'm INTERNET hopeless! I mean Learning.
    Last edited by john12; 10-06-2006 at 12:42 AM.

John12:

Do you have a program that can compress your videos for internet streaming? Which program are you using?

If you can compress your video, sign up for an account at http://www.youtube.com or any of the other free video hosting sites and upload a sample.

It's called a Jump Cut, when you cut between two similar scenes and you haven't moved the camera position, changed angle or zoomed in or out. You must remember to move the camera a significant amout between scenes, change the angle, or the shot size (Wide shot, Medium shot and then to Close Up to take the viewer into the story or the opposite when a story is ending and you want to remove the viewer... just like chucking out time at the pub!)

again makes sense what your saying Nik, but while doing a trailer as i am now, im jumping so quickly, it's not always easy to get different camera angles etc

what I'm really having trouble with, but have nearly worked my way around it, is
    sound- because theirs some really good parts that are perfect for the trailer to help tell the story (briefly) but when i use certain dialoge, it has music playing in the background that is obviously to clear and loud. I don't have adobe audition and even if i did, i don't want to play around learning even more. I'm currently trying to learn AE PP2 Encore and Photoshop all now!